Tuesday, July 9, 2019

The Original Pancake House

It turns out The Original Pancake House is not so original. Apparently the first one was in 1953 in Portland, OR; they are now in about 30 states and Asia. We went to the one on Dillingham; there is another on Kapiolani. So not really original. Curtis had the Ham & Eggs Specialty Breakfast; I had the Portuguese Omelette. At the suggestion of our waitress I tried the omelette on my toast as an open-faced sandwich; it was great that way! We are adding the one on Kapiolani to the breakfast list.

Ham & Eggs Specialty Breakfast. (Photo by Curtis)
Portuguese Omelette.
The insides of the Portuguese Omelette.

We chose this particular place for breakfast because it is near Hawaiian Pie Co.. The last time I was in Kohala for pie & ice cream night part of the discussion was about these pies which weigh 3 pounds each! They are made by the grandson & great grandkids of the original owners of Holy's Bakery; a North Kohala business that is still in operation. I said I would bring one of the 3 pound pies on my next trip; I picked up  frozen Passion Orange Guava Pear Pie (aka POG Pear Pie) which is their Flavor of the Month for July. (You can get them frozen, baked, and by the slice.)
Pie choices available today.
Baked and ready to eat!
The original bakery in Kapaʻau.
The center photo is of Mr. & Mrs. Hori who started Holy's Bakery.


The morning walk was warmer than it has been but the light breeze was fairly steady so it was pleasant. During my walk I saw LaVie heading up to the bus stop, as well as Ona & Rio (well ahead of me), and Lynnette; I stopped to talk to her about my upcoming trip to Kohala. I later saw Ona & Rio just before I got back to the parking lot. We discussed cataracts & when it was appropriate for surgery; she said my doctor will let me know when its time. (I think it is the early-stage cataract in my left eye which is affecting my long distance bird ID not the actual corrective action of my contact lenses. Changing the lenses to 20/10 would not negate the effects of an early-stage cataract.)
Twenty-four minutes before sunrise on Waiʻalae & a dirty windshield!
Two minutes before sunrise on Maunalani.
Fifteen minutes after sunrise on Sierra.

There are many houses along my walk that have Hawaiian mock orange hedges; during most of my walk I can smell their fragrance. I want to train the one at our house in to a tree form so that the flowers (and leaves) are above the sight distance level; then we can enjoy the fragrance but still safely pull out of the driveway.


During my cool down stretches I watched some agonistic behavior between one the brown anoles (Anolis sagrei) that has staked out the area by the garbage can as it's territory and several interlopers. (It included me as an interloper & challenged me but I didn't back down so it left.) I missed a great photo of it when it had a rival by the head; but a 3rd anole came in to view & broke its concentration & the victim escaped. During my cool down stretches I also saw Ken & the early-rising dogs walk by. As I was leaving I saw Steph; she had picked up 2 fallen mangoes that were not cracked & was using them as weights while she walked.


Because of breakfast with Curtis I left the house a little after 9:30; the car said it was 103 degrees F! Not sure if I really believe that but on the news they said we broke another heat record, 91 degrees F. I returned to Maunalani just about the time for Dad's morning vancomycin treatment; usually I would just come back and do my mid-morning walk before I went in to sit with Dad before lunch. He is getting much better about being hooked up to the intravenous line for the treatments and not pulling at the line.



Dad ate all of his 1/2 peanut butter & banana sandwich for lunch as well as all the cheesecake.  He drank 120 ml apple juice but no water. Because breakfast was so large & relatively late, I skipped lunch.


I skipped my afternoon walk so that I could finish packing; I started this morning while waiting for Curtis to pick me up for breakfast. This trip there are several things I need to make sure I don't forget; the most important being Kai's Hawai'i clothes. He left his shorts and light colored shirts here since he wouldn't use those in Washington. I am also taking a bag of leftover cat food for Mom Cat; this is the mature cat food that remained after Chibi passed. S'mores & Luna need food for cats under 1 year old since they are still actively growing.

We took Marissa & Jessica out for dinner tonight; they will be leaving on Thursday but I leave tomorrow so this was the best night for us to do this. We went to Rock Island Cafe where Marissa and The Roommate Who Likes to Wash Dishes worked together.




Onion rings and a Hula Bopper Burger.
Luau Nachos, made with kalua pork.
Gilligan's Fish & Shrimp Seafood Basket.

They have a lot of popular culture memorabilia and a constantly playing video of snippets of shows; but I was not totally lost. They had both old and new Hawaii Five-O, old Magnum PI, Elvis, Winnie-the-Pooh, and surfboards with ads on them. Everything is for sale.




The iRobot Roomba i7+ arrived today; I set it up in the family room. It has one tower to keep it out of an area; we are going to only have it clean the kitchen, family room, hallway, and my bathroom. The other areas have too many cat toys that could jam up the mechanism. The + is the Clean Base Automatic Dirt Disposal; it automatically empties the Roomba. The base can supposedly can hold 30 days worth of dirt that the Roomba has collected. And it's supposed to be good at picking up pet hair. We shall see. We started it up after we returned from dinner. It's stronger but quieter than the Deebot. And it also seems a little smarter about getting around the room. FYI The Deebot sort of died. It roams around & makes some noise but does not suck anything up anymore.





Hauʻoli lā Hānau to Jim & Adrian!

No comments:

Post a Comment