Monday, January 27, 2020

70th Anniversary: Honoring Kupuna

This year is Maunalani Nursing & Rehabilitation Center's 70th year of operation. There are activities all week; today the celebration was to honor the residents. CNA Jessa was able to convince Dad to get into his wheelchair and go to the event; RN Fred assisted with getting Dad in to his wheelchair. 


On my drive up this morning I saw LaVie on Sierra. During my sunrise walk I saw Alex with Satin & Kylie who was towing a suitcase along; it turns out they were going to a neighbor's who was giving her a ride to the airport. Later I saw Mike & Dulci and Laure with Molly & Champ as they started their walk. As Dean passed me going up on Sierra, I saw Paul & Bodhi in the distance headed home. On my way up Lurline, as I stopped to count the birds in the tree by the Lanipoko house Matt walked by without Bo Derek; it looked like he had just finished returning her. A short while later Wendy drove by. I saw LaVie playing fetch with Bailey in her yard. I also saw a bunch of helicopters go by again; they always seem to have at least one Chinook with them.
Seventeen minutes before sunrise on Waiʻalae.
Six minutes before sunrise on Maunalani.
Twelve minutes after sunrise on Sierra.


During my cool down stretches I saw something buzz by. It looked like a very small hummingbird, but there are no hummingbirds here. There are, however, hummingbird moths here. And that's what it was, a Hummingbird Moth, Macroglossum pyrrhosticta.
They're so fast, this is the best photo I could get of the hummingbird moth.

As I was on my way in to Dad's room, Judy stopped me; her husband is down another hall on the same floor as Dad. Judy was interested in walking with me during my 10 am walk; I told her I would check in with her when after I changed into my walking clothes.

Dad had breakfast in bed; which is why we had to work separately to get him to go to the 70th Anniversary event. He ate half his fried egg sandwich and all of his papaya and banana. He drank 240 ml cranberry juice. Later he ate a Trader Joe's PB&J Bar and drank 120 ml water; he said he liked the PB&J bar.


Because Dad was awake around the time I would be changing, I stayed with him; by the time they got him in to the wheelchair and up to the event I had missed the window to change and be able to get back in time for lunch. I found Judy & apologized for not being able to walk with her today. I stayed and watched the event with Dad.


Since Dad was in his wheelchair we went out to the lanaʻi for lunch. Lunch today was Oriental shoyu chicken, Steamed rice, Monterey blend veggies, Garden salad, Peanut butter bar, and Tomato red pepper bisque soup. Dad ate all his 1/2 peanut butter & banana sandwich and 1&1/2 pieces of peanut butter bar. He drank 240 ml orange juice but no water.
Dad shows off the flower he got at the celebration.


There is new artwork on the walls at Maunalani. They are oil paintings by someone named Deiter. I haven't seen any tags about the artwork but I will be looking for them. Here's the artwork across from the elevator on the 3rd floor.


Today I saw Mr. Asato, Mrs. Tanji, Mrs. Saito, Mrs. Higa, & Mrs. Honjo. I still have not seen Mrs. Akiyama, Mr. Shiraki, or Mrs. Tanaka.

I skipped the afternoon walk because I needed to take car of some financial stuff. But first I reorganized my art supplies today. I needed someplace to store the tubes of paint that I won't be carrying with me when I am out painting. I spent the rest of my "art time" taking care of the financial stuff.

I ate the last jin dui. It will no longer be around to tempt me.
The last jin dui.

I'm not sure why I only have a photo of my early morning ketone test strip. Which doesn't show anything; I only take a photo as a baseline for the tests during the remainder of the day. So I won't be posting it since there is nothing to compare it to.

Hauʻoli lā Hānau to Monava & Lea!

No comments:

Post a Comment