Wednesday, January 15, 2020

District 1

I was originally going to have lunch with my god-daughter Marlena in Seattle today. But the snow changed that plan. Instead, Kai and I went to District 1 Banh Mi & Bar; his current favorite banh mi place. Kai had the Spam Banh Mi with a fried egg and I had the District 1 Special Banh Mi with a fried egg. I've never had banh mi with a fried egg but liked it.


Spam Banh Mi with fried egg.
Insides of Spam Banh Mi.
District 1 Special Banh Mi.

I was able to see the clouds turn color from the early morning sunshine. Most of the time it has been too cloudy in the morning to actually see the changing colors of the morning sky.
One hour after sunrise.
Looking easterly for the sun.
Its warming up when the snow won't stick to the sidwewalks.


About mid-morning Barb texted back to tell us that the photos we sent her looked like the place she was thinking of. She said it looked like some trees had been thinned out.

A short while later, Ian texted, "Pest control will be by today." Dustin responded, "You can't just call Kai a pest like that. How rude." Kai slept through it all!

CJ texted me around lunch time. They got 12 inches of snow overnight! We had been talking about getting together but with that much snow that would not be an option even with the Outback! I would be pushing snow all the way up to her house!
Last night's snow fall at CJ's house! (Photo by CJ)

After lunch we made a quick stop at Fred Meyer to pick up parchment paper so that I could do some baking. I tried to make a batch of Chocolate Chocolate Chip Macadamia Nut Biscotti. The oven however, is a little finicky. On the first bake it wasn't done enough so was soft and doughy on the inside which made it difficult to cut so I put it back in for a few minutes. On the second bake it got too much heat and got a little singed on the edges. So its kind of like French roast biscotti!



We had let Bear out of his kennel when we got home; I didn't like him looking at me with those sad eyes when I was in the room and clearly able to keep an eye on him when he was out. Although Kai had said he liked to get under foot in the kitchen I found him to be very good about staying out of my way; the first time he got in my way I pointed to his "place" and motioned to him to go there and "stay". He did and was very good about it. When things were in the oven and I had time to play with him I did. But when I needed to work, I sent him back to his place. Most of the time he did well. Once, though, when I went to the bathroom he puled the bag of arrowroot powder and tore off one corner. That was all it took for him to find out it wasn't something he liked.


While I was baking it started to snow again. It had been dry all morning but now snowed for a few hours. It was enough to stick on the grass and trees but not on the roads.
Snow at 2:07 pm.

Add caption

I did a bunch of dishes after I had the biscotti in the oven. Later, when the dishwasher finished, I put those dishes away where I thought it would be. I found a couple of cutting boards with weird notches in them: I wonder what they are for?


For dinner we met Darla at Kafe Neo; this is where Barb and I were going to meet before it snowed so I was glad to have the chance to try it out with Darla. We started with the Bacon-wrapped Date appetizer. Kai had the Gyro with Lamb, Darla had the traditional Gyro, and I had the Lamb Platter. Kai & I shared a Custard filled Fillo dessert. Alyssa who was working the counter gave Kai his coffee for free, then later gave him the rest of the pot in a to go cup; she said they were just going to throw it out anyway. She also gave us 2 cookies that were also day old and on their way to be thrown out; one was peanut butter, the other was raisin. I gave her the Li Hing Pineapple Popcorn from Primo Popcorn; she said her daughter would love that!




Add caption
Bacon-wrapped Dates.
Lamb platter.
Greek Fries.




Hauʻoli lā Hānau to Randy!

No comments:

Post a Comment