Thursday, January 23, 2020

A/C Installation, Day 2

Cory from RevoluSun showed up at 8:30 as planned; Andrew was with him since Cory had to leave a little after 1 pm. Between them they finished the installation of the units at the east end of the house in the computer room and the bedroom that I am in; they are on one compressor. The other bedrooms will be completed tomorrow; they are on another compressor.
Compressor for the rooms at the east end.
Compressor for rooms at the west end.

Andrew  finished up the 2 units at the east end of the house by 2 pm. He gave me a quick lesson on the use of the remote control. He said for the computer room with the temperature starting at 76 degrees F, cooling it to 72 F would take about 10 minutes; it actually took about 20 minutes but that was because we had the door open several times as we were checking things out. I then set up a test to see if those 2 units could help cool down that end of the house if we left the doors open and it did seem to help keep it cooler and that was even with the sliding glass door open just enough for the cat door to function properly.
Andrew shows me how to open the cover for the cooling unit.
Andrew shows me how to work the remote control.

During my drive up I saw Johnny walking Chloe & Coco down by their house; I saw Ona & Rio and Mary, Noe, & June on Lurline. During my walk I saw Ona & Rio on the circle then later they were ahead of me going down Sierra. I saw Mike & Dulci as they started their walk. I also saw Mary, Noe, & June as they came up Sierra, then later as they were going down Lurline. I also saw Kavita at the top of Sierra. As I was leaving I saw Dean as he reached the top of Sierra.
Twenty-four minutes before sunrise on Waiʻalae.
Fifteen minutes before sunrise on Maunalani.
One minute after sunrise on Sierra.

I started my art homework early today; I wanted to fill my palette so the pigments could dry. I first watched Angela Fehr's video, How to set up a palette for watercolor painting. Tips & Tricks, again. I also looked over Susan Chiang's blog on watercolor charts.

I think I'll make one of these tomorrow.

I have settled on these primary colors for my limited palette: Pyrrol Red, Carmine, Ultramarine Blue, Phthalo Blue (Green Shade), Quinacridone Gold, and Hansa Yellow Medium; the warm color is listed first for each primary pair. I am also including Aureolin and Burnt Sienna in my limited palette; a total of 8 colors. The Burnt Sienna had started to separate; it is a sedimentary pigment so that is not unusual. The Aureolin sort of exploded; the tube was a little overfilled. The nice thing about watercolors is that they tend to clean up nicely with water! I left a gap between the Phthalo Blue and the Hansa Yellow Medium; if I decide to use it the Phthalo Green can go there. Then I have 3 extra spaces if I decide to add a couple more colors. But for now, this is it.

The Burnt Sienna separated.



It was a little cool this morning so I made a batch of Keto-friendly Sugar-free Hot Chocolate; I also made mine dairy-free. Mine was not as low carb as the recipe I found on-line; I only had unsweetened soy milk available. The soy milk has 6 g carbs per cup; unsweetened almond milk has half that amount. So instead of getting only 5 g carb with each serving of hot chocolate, I was getting 7 g; way less than regular hot chocolate which is about 20 g but more than if I used what the recipe called for (the recipe says 3 servings). I think I will stick to the soy milk since it has more protein. I also used all of the 5.46 oz can of coconut milk that I had which is about 30% more than the recipe calls for but I don't like keeping small amounts of stuff, like the left over 1.46 oz of coconut milk, sitting around in the refrigerator. Making that change increased the carb amount by 0.2 g per serving and the fat by 4 g per serving. Here's the recipe with the changes I made:
3 Tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
2 Tbsp granulated stevia/erythritol/xylitol
1-5.46 oz unsweetened coconut milk
2 cups unsweetened soy milk
1 tsp vanilla extract



For lunch I mixed a can of sockeye salmon with some organic mayonnaise and sweet pickle relish; sort of like tuna spread for a sandwich but with salmon instead. And no bread. (We had salmon and it was just past the pull date so it needed to be eaten.) It had about 1 g carbs in the serving I ate since I did not use any bread; I just ate it straight. (The carbs were from the sweet pickle relish.)


In the afternoon, about 5 minutes after Andrew left, Helena from Sears Appliance Repair called; she was on her way over to fix the dryer. Because of the concrete dust in the utility room, I had her keep her shoes on while she worked. The problem with the dryer was the door switch! She fixed it in about 10 minutes. It was such a quick fix we spent more time talking about her tattoo and her future plans as an ESL instructor in Japan than she did fixing the dryer!
Helena quickly fixed the dryer.
The problem was the door switch.
Here's the part she replaced.

Speaking of tattoos, here's a close-up of Helena's tattoo; it honors her grandmother Ada who passed away recently.

When I was on the initial call with Helena I realized that I had not started my laundry this morning like I had intended; I hang my laundry out in sunny weather so the non-functional dryer would not be a problem. But in hindsight it was probably a good thing I did not do the laundry since Andrew and Cory were doing concrete drilling on that side of the house; my clean laundry would have gotten covered with concrete dust! I will do my travel laundry tomorrow when they are working on the west end of the house!

I was able to catch both Luna and S'mores this morning and put them out in the cat run. At first there was a little bit of agonistic behavior. And of course Luna tried to climb up the screen to get back in. Once Cory and Andrew showed up, though, they both retreated to one of the shelves on the farthest end of the cat run from where Cory & Andrew were making noise drilling through the concrete. The cats huddled up together against the common enemy.
Oh, no! I'm locked out again!
I'll try going over the top again.
What's that racket? Let's stay in this corner.

After Helena left, I opened up the cat door for them. S'mores, who never uses the door to go out into the cat run, immediately made her way in to the house! She hightailed it to a hiding place till later in the evening.


We then did a little experiment to see how effective the 2 units are in cooling the east end of the house. Andrew said it was possible to keep the doors open and let the cool air flow in to the other rooms to keep them more comfortable. We closed off the windows in the utility room, kitchen. and family room (except for gap to allow cat door to work) and ran both A/C units at 72 degrees F at first. I ended up closing my door since both cats wanted to go in and explore (and upset things); we ran the "experiment" with only the A/C for the computer room providing cooling. It helped; we could feel a cool flow from the computer room. It will be interesting to see how it feels after all 5 units are installed.

I am still not in ketogenesis. Though it does look like I was burning a little more fat before lunch.
At 6:21 am, upon waking.
At 8:21 am; after sunrise walk.
At 11:13 am; before lunch.
3:41 pm; after lunch.
At 6:21 pm; after dinner.

By the way, have you heard the sarcastic saying about something being as much fun as watching paint dry? It's true!!!

Hauʻoli lā` Hānau to Lisa!

No comments:

Post a Comment