Monday, January 13, 2020

Another Snow Day

The snow last night changed a lot of my plans today. I was supposed to meet with Keashia in the morning, but she cancelled though she still wanted to do dinner. Then Barbara E's jury duty got cancelled so she was able to meet; we got together at Kindred Kitchen for lunch.




Sesame Ginger Chicken Salad with London Fog Tea.

The Kindred Kitchen is a project of HopeWorks Station. And HopeWorks Station is part of Housing Hope. These entities serve the homeless population in the county; providing training, housing, and social services to people transitioning out of homelessness. When I left, HopeWorks Station and Kindred Kitchen were under construction. It turns out Barbara's husband Bruce was on the board of Housing Hope when HopeWorks Station was being planned and constructed.
Unfortunately this is the best photo I have of this.



They encourage recycling and make it convenient.
They also encourage the use of bikes.

Besides their work to end homelessness, Housing Hope also looks at their impact on the environment of their projects. HopeWorks Station uses recycled and repurposed materials, is energy efficient, and also creates some of its own energy.
The carports are solar panels.

And there is a charging station for plug-in electric vehicles.

While I was on my way in to meet with Barbara, Steve called and cancelled his 1 pm meeting with Kai; which also meant that I didn't need to run back and pick him up. So I got to spend more time with Barbara. After she and I finished our early lunch I followed her to her house to meet up with Bruce, who was busy earlier in the morning. It turns out Bruce is an avid birder and our conversation turned to birding they have done and where there was good birding in Hawai'i. Bruce gave me some of beautiful cards he had made of his bird photos.

Clockwise from upper left: Great Blue Heron, House Finch, Gadwall, and Barred Owl.

One of their family holiday traditions is making cookies. Barbara brought out shortbread, date bars, and black & whites that they had made over the holidays. Although it had warmed up a little, it was still below freezing when I left.
Clockwise from upper right: Date Bar, Shortbread, and Black & White.


I went to Keashia's house for dinner; she invited her friend Barbara to join us. Barbara is originally from Hawai'i, she was born on Maui! She spent a few years there until her family moved to California. She now lives a few blocks from Keashia. While we talked Keashia prepared savory grits and a tasty seafood stew that she served over the grits. We also had Bruce Cost Ginger Ale with Blood Orange and Meyer Lemon. It was all very good! She sent us home with some leftovers.
Grits are made with hominy, a part of the corn kernel.
Savory grits.


L to R: me, Keashia, & Barbara. (Photo by Julian)

It was even colder when I left Keashia's house.


While I was getting ready to leave this morning Taiga came  out of hiding and was meowing outside the bathroom door; I think she thought I was Dustin because I had placed his water bottle outside the bathroom door so it was accessible to him. She rubbed up against me and let me pet her! But I did not have my phone with me so I was unable to document the interaction. I tried later but she wouldn't come out of her room. Aue!


There was no snow falling this morning, but there was still snow on the ground and on the car from last night.
Fifteen minutes before sunrise in Marysville.

Looking out the windshield.

Hauʻoli lā Hānau to Ray & cousin Tomiko!

No comments:

Post a Comment