Wednesday, January 29, 2020

ʻŌlelo Hawaiʻi

I went to the free Hawaiian classes being given at the University of Hawaiʻi. Classes actually started last week Wednesday but I was busy with the air conditioner installation; I watched the Facebook Live video of last week's lesson. The link to today's lesson is here. Classes are streamed live on Facebook via the KTUH page so you could join me in classes from wherever you are! Classes continue through the quarter every Wednesday and end in early May. The classes are subsidized by the Associated Students of the University of Hawaiʻi so that they could be offered to the public for free. 


Reviewing part of last week's lesson.
This week's lesson.

Paige & Ākea make the lessons fun!
Practice for todayʻs lesson.

By the way, the free Hawaiian classes are now $40. For me. If you have to park on campus at the UH, be careful; there are not a whole lot of visitor parking slots. I was directed to the Visitors Lot, I went around the circle and saw a slot down the lane a couple spaces away. Turns out not every space in the visitors lots are for visitors, only the ones painted with dark green lines are but there are no signs that tell you that; which are not that easy to see on the asphalt. It seems like they do not like to have visitors; I saw maybe 100 spaces in 4 lots. And about half of those were behind the Kennedy Theater for large events. One lot only had 12 spaces for visitors. (I wandered around campus trying to figure out where I could safely park next week.) Oh, and you still have to pay to park.
Electric cars park for free!

But I also had positive experience meeting other students. The woman sitting to my right was from Taiwan, the one sitting behind me was from Germany, and the one sitting to my left was from Kaimukī; in fact, she lives about 15 blocks away! But the coolest person I met was Healani, a kupuna from Mililani. She never learned Hawaiian even though she went to Kamehameha School because when she attended in the 1950's girls were not allowed to learn to speak Hawaiian or do the hula; only the boys were allowed. So now she is learning Hawaiian. Next week her grandson will be bringing her to class; they will become practice buddies. I gave her the larger map I got from Public Safety because it showed the visitor lots more clearly than the small one she had; her grandson has never been to campus before and she was concerned they might not be able to find the visitor lot. I circled the 2 closest to the Campus Center where the classes are held in red for them. (I was at Public Safety because I saw a sign for their office and I thought that might be where I needed to go to pay the ticket. Not. I needed to go to Commuter Services, which was in the building next to where I had been parked, but there were no signs letting me know that. Its probably why I got the ticket even though I was only there for an hour; I was too close to be ignored.)

I will be restarting my 'Olelō Hawaiʻi practice on DuoLingo; the last time I did anything was in March last year. I started in October 2018 when they first launched it on DuoLingo and kept it up for about 6 months. Then life got in the way. I think using DuoLingo along with the ʻOlelō Hawaiʻi classes with a live teacher will help me retain it better than I did with DuoLingo alone.

During the drive up for my sunrise walk I saw Kavita on her way back down. On my walk I saw Mike & Dulci with Laure, Champ, & Molly as they started their walk. As I came around the corner, Ken was just leaving his house with Toto & Chico; they were earlier than usual. Since I was just starting my walk we split up at Sierra, I continued down the hill while they went around the circle. I saw LaVie near the park; later I saw her playing with Bailey in her yard. I also saw Dean both on his way up the hill, then back down. I saw Lena returning with the fox terriers Keko, Kala (short hair), & Poni (purple collar). I also saw Matthew returning from walking Bo Derek; he lives next door to the fox terriers. As I was near Wendy's house I saw a several ʻEhakō and zebra doves, they looked like they were pecking at a flattened African snail. Suddenly crumbs came flying out from between the parked cars! It turns out Bruce was on the other side, tossing crumbs to the birds!
Seventeen minutes before sunrise on Waiʻalae.
Seven minutes before sunrise on Maunalani.
Ten minutes after sunrise on Sierra.
They removed the damaged tree.

LaVie was telling me about the new 6-week old puppy her landlords just got; once it has all its shots she will also be taking it for walks. It's a poodle-border collie cross.

Dad was eating breakfast in bed this morning. He ate all of his fried egg sandwich, papaya, and banana. He drank 240 ml of cranberry juice but no water.

After I put on my sunscreen and changed in to my walking clothes I went to find Judy; but she wasn't able to walk this morning because she was helping her husband. So I walked by myself, like I normally do. I have been noticing that they have been painting the center stripes on the parts of the road that have been repaved; but I had not actually seen anyone working on it until today.


The Cattle Egret was watching the road striping work, too.

Lunch today was Kalua pork with cabbage, Steamed rice, Tossed salad, Bread Pudding, and Chicken gumbo soup. Dad ate all his 1/2 peanut butter & banana sandwich and 2 pieces of bread pudding. He drank 240 ml cranberry juice but no water.


Before I left for the ʻOlelō Hawaiʻi class, I used the bathroom. It was the first time I had been in Restroom #1 for a few days; there was a new privacy curtain. It reminded me of a slime mold.

Physarum polycephalum. (Screen shot from www.micropia.nl)

Because I went to the ʻOlelō Hawaiʻi class, then drove around looking for the parking areas and talking to Aneke (Aunty) Healani, I did not do any art homework tonight. But tomorrow I start the Watercolor Beginners webinar by Angela Fehr!



Still not in ketogenesis.
At 6:23 am; upon waking.
At 8:05 am; after sunrise walk.
At 5:30 pm; before dinner.

Hauʻoli lā Hānau to John, Maggie, & Kathy!

No comments:

Post a Comment