Tuesday, January 7, 2020

Outback Has Arrived!

Well, it actually arrived yesterday, but we were able to pick it up today. It was way easier than I expected it to be. We went to the Matson office on Harbor Island and I said I was there to pick up a car from Hawai'i. I gave them my name and my photo ID; was given a ticket and directed to the guard house to present the ticket. At the guard house I was directed where to park, then walk to the next building and present the ticket. I gave Bob at the next building the ticket and he pointed me in the right direction & told me where to park when I got the Outback and where to find the papers he needed. I handed the papers over to him, he attached some other papers & gave the stack back to me and said show it to the guard. I did, then was told, "Have a Happy New Year!", and drove away! The most difficult thing was driving back up in rush hour traffic; it took twice as long to get to Everett as it usually does!
The newer Subarus are larger than the older ones.
There was a delay getting in to the Express Lanes, so Kai was a little ahead of me. But not for long.


The weather this morning was relatively dry; there were hardly any raindrops on the windshield. On the way to our first stop the sun even tried to come out for a very short while!
Rain shortly after 10 am.
The sun tried to come out from behind the clouds. (Photo by Kai)

We started out the morning by getting a new insurance card for the Outback from our insurance agent Michelle with Western Pacific Insurance Group. I had called her first thing in the morning and given her the Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) for the insurance policy. When we arrived at her office she said because it was a new car my policy with my existing carrier skyrocketed so she checked around and found us a much better rate. While there, we met her co-worker Ramona who moved to the area from Hawai'i about 3 years ago.


Kai needed more coffee and since Matson would be closed for lunch when we arrived if we left right then we decided to also get lunch. Ramona had suggested The Newsroom which was across the street form their office, as well as Sky Teriyaki for lunch. At The Newsroom there was a driving video playing; it was someone going down Ala Moana Boulevard then Nimitz Highway! We started talking to Michael the barista; he said he chose it because his friend had just returned to Hawai'i, she was going to school at Chaminade University. I mentioned that DT was teaching at the adjacent Saint Louis School campus and he got all excited; he is a big fan of Marcus Mariota and Tua Tagovailoa, 2 Saint Louis graduates and star football players.

After Kai got his London Fog and I got a Chai Latte, we walked next door to Sky Teriyaki for lunch. Kai had the Pork Teriyaki and I had the Chicken Teriyaki & Gyoza Lunch Special.

Pork Teriyaki, (Photo by Kai)
Chicken Teriyaki and Gyoza.
My fortune.
Kai's fortune; I wonder if it meant the Outback was free.

We headed to REI before we went to Matson. Kai needed an insulated vest to wear under his duster in the winter; since I left in the summer he did not need his insulated vest so it was packed away somewhere & he has not found it yet. I decided to check on their underwear for trekking; it dries really quickly and is what I use when I travel so I only need 3 pairs. I wear one while another is drying, and the 3rd is waiting to be worn after I shower. We ended up having to order Kai's vest since they had none in his size; it will arrive before I leave. I bought 2 pairs of underwear.
The artificial stream & waterfall in the daylight.
Examining the 1983 Subaru.
This is one of the reasons I like Seattle.


Here's my travel underwear.

After we picked up the Outback we went to pick up Gabriele. I was a little earlier than Kai, I took the express lanes and he took the regular freeway route. We chatted while we waited and Gabriele gave me a gift.
The gift from Gabriele.
Kai helps Gabriele get in to the car.

We went to Cafe Zippy for dinner and also to see Marilyn. Gabriele had the Smoked Salmon Bagel with an Apple Cinnamon Donut, Kai and I had the Dry Italian Salami Panini. He also had the Chocolate Mint Brownie and I had a Mint Chocolate Chip Cookie. While there I also bought several cards with the original Zippy's photo on them and a tray that had a moose motif.


Kai thought this said "Prickly Pear Soup".
Apple Cinnamon Donut, Smoked Salmon Bagel, & Genmai Cha.
Dry Italian Salami Panini and Chocolate Mint Brownie.
Dry Italian Salami Panini, Mint Chocolate Chip Cookie, & London Fog tea.


Hauʻoli lā Hānau to Ben & Bick!

No comments:

Post a Comment