Sunday, January 19, 2020

Sad Day Today

It appears that 2 police officers were killed this morning when they responded to an incident near Kapiolani Park, about a mile & a half away from Dad's house. Apparently the homeowner was attacked by a tenant that was being evicted; when the officers arrived they were shot. Then the suspect set the house on fire; the fire department was unable to respond because of shots were being fired so the fire spread. The photo below was taken just after 11 in the morning from the 3rd floor landing at Maunalani; at least 4 other houses were reported to be on fire at that time.


The 5 pm news reported that 7 houses were complete losses and another dozen or so suffered some smoke and/or fire damage. Three people are missing, including the suspect who is believed to have died in the fire but whose body has not yet been recovered.





During my drive up this morning I saw no regulars but I did see that Kelly had what I think was a surf kayak in the back of his truck. During my walk I saw Lorraine in the distance as she started up the circle and Yan & Lucky as they were making their way up Lurline; by that time I saw The Surfer way in the distance leaving for the beach. I did not see any other regulars today. But I did see a fence that appears to have been partially blown over by the wind.
Eighteen minutes before sunrise on Waiʻalae.
Nine minutes before sunrise on Maunalani.
Seven minutes after sunrise on Sierra.
The middle section of the fence is starting to fall over.
The Cup of Golds are starting to bloom.

Luke finished the mural yesterday. I like how he painted a shadow on the section of wall that wraps around the stairwell.
The shadow closest to the mural is painted.
Here's the finished mural.

Since it is the weekend I have to use the bathrooms on the 3rd floor to wash up and change. Usually I use Restroom #2 so that I don't tie up the wheelchair accessible one, but this morning only Restroom #1 was available. I found that they made some improvements in the decor of Restroom #1. Today I remembered to bring my wash cloth & hat!
The paintings were already there; the little table and plant are new.



Dad was in the dining room eating breakfast; he was sharing a table with Mr. Kaneshiro. Dad ate half his fried egg sandwich and all of his papaya and banana. He drank 240 ml apple juice but no water. Later he decided he just wanted to sit in the dining room; he would not engage in the puzzle making activity that Activities CNA Immanuel was doing with the other residents.


Later Activities CNA Kiʻini came down with a computer loaded with a new program they have purchased. It allows residents to interact and do several activities. It also has access to live web cams of puppies, kittens, and more. After she gave Immanuel a brief training, Kiʻini left; Immanuel put on a kitten live cam which Dad gladly watched along with several other residents.
Kʻiini explains the new app.
Kiʻini helps a resident use the app.
Kiʻini helps the resident draw.
The kitten live cam.

Mrs. Onoye was one of the residents doing puzzles earlier; later today I also saw Mrs.Yoshimura and Lori. I have not yet seen Mrs. Akiyama, Mrs. Honjo, Mr. H. Inouye, Mrs. Moody, Mrs. Saito, Mr. Shiraki, or Mrs. Tanaka.

I skipped the mid-morning walk since Dad was awake and in the common area. That's how I got to see Kiʻini and the new program. Shortly after she left I went to call Subaru Dan, he is the person our mechanic Chuck from Z Sport said might be interested in buying the old Loyale. Dan liked that the body was in good condition; he said he has several engines that he could install after he pulls the old engine. Dan will call Kai to make arrangements to see the Loyale. While talking with Dan I saw the smoke from the houses near Leʻahi that were burning.

Lunch today was Baked glazed ham (2g), Baked sweet potatoes, Steamed corn, Tossed salad (3g), Oatmeal cookie, and Minestrone soup. Dad ate all his half peanut butter & banana sandwich and 2 cookies. He drank 120 ml cranberry juice but no water.

This gives a better idea of what I have been eating.

After lunch I eavesdropped while Dad and his new roommate, Mr. Tanabe, talked. Mr. Tanabe was recalling where they lived near the old Honolulu Stadium. Mr. Tanabe's father had a plumbing business on Algaroba Street; I found out Mr. Tanabe continued the business which his son Clayton now runs. From 12:45 to about 2:15 they had the same conversation several times but never tired of it!

I skipped the afternoon walk; I have not quite gotten back in to the routine. I forgot to put my SPF 50 sunscreen that I use in the afternoon back in to my backpack.

As I parked the car at home I saw a squashed bird on the road; my 1st thought was that it was a Red Crested Cardinal; it was light gray with white, I could not see the red crest from that distance. The Roommate Who Likes to Wash Dishes had walked by it and asked if it was a Red Crested Cardinal. I walked up to it and verified that it was a Red Crested Cardinal.



Initially I was going to put my watercolors in the travel palette that I picked up a while ago. But I was trying to decide whether I needed to purchase more colors; since I use a limited palette I have only 7 colors. Hashimoto (author of Colors of the West) recommends 18 colors; I only have 2 of the colors that are recommended (Hansa Yellow Medium and Quinacridone Gold). I have 1 color (Ultramarine Blue) that is essentially the same as the French Ultramarine Blue that is recommended. Phthalo Green is recommended but it does not specify whether it should be Yellow Shade or Blue Shade; I have the Blue Shade. I have Carmine instead of any of the recommended reds. I also have Burnt Sienna and Aureolin that are not like any of the recommended colors. I need to think about this more.


I have also not gotten back in to my routine of icing my knees during dinner. I did not ice at all while I was visiting with Kai so now I am feeling it. It starts out with my knees feeling "congested", they feel "puffy" though they don't look swollen and there is no pain. I have found that if I ice every night I can avoid the "congested" feeling and it never becomes painful. However, if I am active like I am with the walking, and I don't ice for a long time, I will begin to have low level throbbing pain; which I don't like so I try to ice every night.

This morning my ketone level was negative as I expected it would  be. I also tested my urine when I returned from Maunalani but I did not expect the result that I got. It showed that I was back in ketogenesis! So even after 2 weeks of eating more carbs than I should be for ketogenesis, I returned to ketogenesis after 2 days! And after only 1 walk per day! I will test for a few more days to verify today's results.
At 6:26 am.
At 3:50 pm, I canʻt believe Iʻm in ketogenesis already!

Hauʻoli lā Hānau to Bo & Amy!

1 comment: