Friday, January 17, 2020

Travel Day

I had to get up at 5 this morning to get to the airport for my flight. If we had started from Kai's house we would have had to be up by about  3! The car was covered with frost but there was no new snow last night so the drive to the airport was uneventful.

My butt warmer was also at the highest setting.

I ran in to a guy in the TSA line who appears to not be a morning person. He was standing behind me in line; almost every time we moved he ended up kicking my omiyage carry-on. They have changed the counters where you put your items in the bins to be scanned; the bins now come back to each station automatically. If there is a delay at the output end, the bins do not come back to the start of the line. As I was waiting for one of the 6 stations to open up during one of the delays, The Rude Guy said, "Are you going to go up there?" and pointed to where a woman was waiting for the line of bins to move so she could put her bin on the belt. When I told him, "She's not done yet," he looked surprised that she was still standing there. I think The Rude Guy had not had his caffeine yet. FYI He backed off and didn't say anything else after I pointed out that he did not see that there was a person standing there.
Artwork over the doors for the train to the different gates.

When I was waiting at the gate for my flight I was sitting across from a couple that was having a loud discussion. Pretty much during the whole time they were together in the waiting area they were arguing; when Arguing Guy left to get lattes it was quiet. I saw The Arguing Couple later at baggage claim; they were continuing their argument. I'm glad I wasn't sitting next to them on the plane; I think they would have been more annoying than the baby that was behind me. The most common noise the baby made was laughing; his parents were really good at keep him amused.
Seventeen minutes after sunrise at Sea-Tac.
Deicing the wing.

I was sitting next to a high school student who was on her way to meet up with her family at Aulani; I was right behind her as we boarded so we got to our seats at the same time. About 5 minutes later an older woman came up and said she was actually supposed to be in the seat next to me but she let The Student sit next to me, both seats were on the aisle so it didn't seem to be a big deal. But I was trying to figure out why The Student was not able to read her boarding pass.
The plane on the right is landing; those on the left are waiting to take-off.
Taking off from Sea-Tac.

Because this was a morning flight, breakfast was served; it was an Egg Sandwich with Garlic Pepper Aioli and a Pineapple Coconut Breakfast Bite. Both were flavorful unlike food from some other airlines. Kai had noted earlier that Hawaiian Airlines, unlike other airlines, seems to understand that at altitude your ability to taste things becomes duller so they need to add more flavor enhancers. (The changes in the human body at altitude also make the effect of medications and alcohol less predictable.)

OMG! 17g carbs! I still ate it.
It's made in Woodinville, WA!
This one is made in Hawai'i.

According to the pilot, the temperature when we landed was about 85 degrees F. When I left it was about 35 F, a 50 degree difference.
Flying over Pearl Harbor on our landing approach.

As usual I saw a lot of people on this trip; I saw 87 friends and family. I saw Mary Ellen, Michael, Ian, Simon, Amelia, Emmanuel, Anne, Mary Kay, Catie, Brianna, Dustin, Aunty Daisy, Aunty Florence, Scott, Wakana, Karen T., David O., Justine, Ursula, Tomiko, David T., Gretchen, Michael M., Ron, Peggy, George B., Cathy, Randy S., Ken, Stan, Darla, Mona, Clarissa, George N., Karen K., Denny, Hi, Brenda, Mike, Jo, Lois, Barb M., Will, Michele V., ,Gabriele, Michelle A., Bo, Barbara T., Monica, Travis, Chuck, Ben, Pam, Terri, Susie, Martha, Allan, Rex, Doug, Julie, Mary, Beth, Crilly, Steve C., Deb, Misty, Emily, Lorena, Janice, Carol, Patricia, Bob, Erin, Jim, Manegeh, Shaheen, Janice, Bick, Ron, Sheryl, Randy K., Barbara E., Bruce, Keashia, Julian, Barb Y., and Gulshan. I also saw canine friends Louie, Bear, Ricky, and Koda; and feline friends Cake & Taiga. On this trip I met a bunch of people, some of whom I know I have a high probability of seeing on a future trip, some who I may never see again; I met Naserian, Chloe, Michael F., Ramona, Cindy, Steve Ch., Richard, Toy, Sharon, Howard, Jamali, Richard, Romel, Matthew, Barbara O., Kelly, and Alyssa. I met canine friends Momo, Gracie, Maze, Boo, and BooBoo and feline friend Cub.

Hauʻoli lā Hānau to Kathryn & Everett!

No comments:

Post a Comment