Saturday, January 18, 2020

1st Day Back at Maunalani

And it was a little rough; I was a little late getting up and out of bed. Then I kind of forgot my morning prep routine. And I forgot to grab my socks; I had been using the Merino wool socks which are not good for me for walking in hotter weather. When I got up to the parking lot I discovered my hat was not in the car; which also means the sunrise walk would be the only one for the day. Then after my walk I discovered I forgot my towel to dry my face off after I wash off the sweat. Aue!
Hmmm, something's missing.

I left the house a bit later than usual; although going straight up Wilhelmina Rise cut a bunch of time off my drive up I was still a little late in starting my walk so I don't know if the lesser amount of birds was due to that or something else that might have happened while I was gone. I was so late, on my drive up I saw Lorraine headed down Lurline on her way back home. During my walk I saw Cody & Rollie with Roger in the distance as they also headed back home. Someone hit one of the trees near the top of Matsonia. As I was on my way up Lurline, I saw Ona jogging down; we had a short chat. Not much has happened at the Lanipoko house except that more building materials have shown up; I expect I'll see more in the coming days. I also saw Bailey in her front yard; she had a haircut while I was gone. I skipped the cool down stretches since I was so late already; with the nice cool breeze I did not need to cool down but I still needed the stretching.
Eight minutes before sunrise at home.
Five minutes after sunrise on Maunalani.
How did the tree get hit but not the fire hydrant?
More building materials at the Lanipoko house.
Bailey looks a lot more comfortable with this haircut.

I checked the hāpuʻu; it's doing great! But the one palapalai to the east of the hāpuʻu appears to have totally died back; I will need to replace it.


While I was walking this morning I realized that I really enjoy walking up on Maunalani; I guess it kind of grew on me.  Over the past 21 months I think I have made 6 trips of 1 or 2 weeks long; this is the first time I have felt that I will miss this walk.

They have updated the greeting sign by the visitor log at the front desk.


When I got to Dad's room he was asleep; he had pushed his tray aside. He had finished about 1/4 of his fried egg sandwich and all of his papaya and banana. He did not drink any liquids or perhaps he had finished one and the cup was refilled and he did not drink any more.

I met Dad's new roommate, Mr. Tanabe. Curtis was telling me over the last weekend since he arrived, they have discovered that Dad and Mr. Tanabe knew each other as teenagers growing up in Moʻiliʻili! Mr. Tanabe has one living son who was taking care of him at home; then later had to hire a caretaker for him. Mr. Tanabe is here now; having a caretaker 24/7 was more expensive than having him living here at Maunalani. Today I met Mr. Tanabe's brother's daughter Gayle; she came in after lunch to visit her uncle. Shortly after that Mr. Tanabe's son Clayton arrived.

As usual, I checked to see which kupuna are still here. Today I saw Mr. Ikuma, Mr. Izon, Mr. Kalaukoa, Mr. Yeh, Mr. Omiya, Mrs. Omiya, Mrs. Keliikipi, Mr. Miyahira, Mr. Kam, Mr. Watanabe, Mr. Love, Mrs. Toyama, Mr. Shinagawa, Mrs. Okawa, Uncle Larry, Mr. Asato, Mrs. Kim, Mrs. Shibuya, Mrs. Pang, Mr. Kajihara, Mrs. Tanji, Mrs. Higa, and Mr. Kaneshiro. I have not yet seen Mrs. Akiyama, Mrs. Honjo, Mr. H. Inouye, Lori, Mrs. Moody, Mrs. Onoye, Mrs. Saito, Mr. Shiraki, Mrs. Tanaka,  & Mrs.Yoshimura

Lunch today was Steak & mushroom sauce (7g), Steamed rice, Monterey blend veggies (3g), Tossed salad (3g), Boston cream cake, and Tomato bisque soup. Dad ate all his half peanut butter & banana sandwich and 2 pieces of Boston cream cake. He drank 240 ml cranberry juice but no water.

As I was leaving I saw Luke, the mural artist who is painting the landscape mural on the wall of the therapy building the faces the turnaround at the end of the parking lot. He said that all the work I saw earlier was painted yesterday; the weather had hampered his attempts to paint earlier. He said he should finish it up today. When I checked his website, I found that he painted the traffic control box at 7th & Harding! He is doing the mural at Maunalani at cost. He has inspired me to follow-through with the decision I made at Bobbye's Celebration of Life to start painting again.
The unfinished mural in the morning.
Luke working on the mural in the afternoon.

As for my goal of painting every day for the remainder of 2020; I have revised it to "paint or do an activity related to painting" every day. Last night I  put the smaller items I bought earlier for en plein air painting into the carrying case that we bought at Daniel Smith. Today I read the first chapter of Colors of the West. So after just over a year since buying the supplies I am finally getting my butt in gear to paint again after nearly 20 years of not painting. Aue! I did not realize it has been that long until I wrote that!



I did a quick check on the backyard when I got home; I was too jet lagged yesterday to do it then. The 1st papaya that we topped is now setting fruit; we should have some ripe ones soon!


I forgot to mention yesterday that 2 of the 4 books I ordered from America's Test Kitchen before Christmas arrived while I was gone. One of the books that has not arrived is the one I am most interested in, Easy Everyday Keto. I was hoping it would arrive before I left so I could make a few dishes while I was at Kai's house. And if it looked helpful I was going to leave it with him. Since it did not arrive I will be checking it out here; if it looks promising I will order another one and have it mailed directly to him.


I also forgot to mention that DT has a cold! From the symptoms, it sounds like it might be the same thing that Dustin and David had! Aue! I hope I don't get it.

I completely unpacked the omiyage bag and have most of my suitcase unpacked. I got all the omiyage for the house out of the suitcase and also all the dirty laundry. I think I will be washing the laundry next week when the RevoluSun installers come on Tuesday to begin the installation of the final pieces of the solar hardware. I don't yet know when the air conditioning units will be installed.

I did remember to weigh myself this morning; though I was not looking forward to the results. There was not one day on my trip that I was able to eat less than 25g of carbs. But I was trying to eat less carbs, though I did partake of the culturally significant carbs like mochi, sushi, dim sum, naan, & fillo; it doesn't have to be my culture. I was pleasantly surprised to find I was 113.0 pounds with 27.2% fat and 48.7% water! I only gained 2.6 pounds over the 14 days. It will be interesting to see how long it will take me to lose the weight I gained and begin losing more so I can get closer to my 100 pound goal.

It will also be interesting to see how long it will take me to get back in to ketogenesis. I did not test my urine this morning since I know it is low in the morning; when I returned I tested it and found no ketones being excreted, as expected. For the next few days there will be photos of the ketone test strips until I get back in to ketogenesis.

Hauʻoli lā Hānau to Andrea & Geoffrey!

1 comment: