Monday, May 27, 2019

Cat Run Deja Vu

The Roommates & I worked on putting the cat run back up again; I made them do nearly all the work. Yesterday I showed The Roommate Who Likes to Wash Dishes what needed to be fixed on the gate end to make it last longer so they could work on that while I was sitting with Dad. But I got a call today, they weren't too sure on what to do & how to do it so they wanted to wait until I got home; no problem. I guess if you've never done things like that it can be daunting. I skipped the afternoon walk so we could get it installed today so S'mores & Luna could finally get some safe outdoor time. But it took longer than I thought it would; they needed a lot of direction.
Before.
Selecting good straight pieces of wood.
The saw at City Mill was broken so they had to hand saw the pieces. Good thing we only needed 2 cuts!
Building the new gate. They bent as  many nails as they finally used.
Gate end partially installed. More to come later.

Driving up to Maunalani so early in the morning has provided me with some Twilight Zone moments. Like this morning, when there were absolutely no cars on the road between the freeway on ramp and up the lower end of Sierra Drive. If I were passing by during the morning rush hour cars would be backed up on to Sierra!


The morning walk was very pleasant today; a lot cooler and breezier than most of the days the last couple of weeks. I saw Kelly driving by on his way to surf; he was the only regular I saw while walking. During my cool down stretches Rodney walked by twice with Koa & Kuma; I also saw Ken with the early-rising dogs and LaVie.
Fourteen minutes before sunrise on Maunalani.
Four minutes after sunrise on Sierra.

As I was getting ready to start my cool down stretches I walked to the edge of the viewpoint to check for the White Cockatoo. I actually heard a squawk, then saw it fly in to a tree in the yard of a house just below Maunalani!


CNA Frances said Dad did not sleep well last night & was wide-awake when she came on duty; she put him in the wheelchair and he was sitting in the Orchid Dining Room when I arrived. He only ate half of his fried egg sandwich but he ate all the papaya and banana. He drank 120 ml each cranberry juice & Boost Breeze but no water; Frances had not worked with Dad for a while so she didn't know we are no longer giving him the Boost supplements. Because he did not sleep well last night I decided not to give Dad coffee this morning.


He stayed in the wheelchair for about 2 hours before needing a diaper change. Then, surprise! He went back in to the chair! Initially Dad said he wanted to go upstairs, but when I wheeled him in to the Castle Living Room & he saw them exercising he didn't want to be there. So we went out to look for Popokilani; we couldn't find her. So I took him to the overlook; we saw a formation of jets fly by. We think it was probably for the Memorial Day ceremonies going on at Puowaina (National Memorial Cemetery of the Pacific).

A short while later RN Fred came by to get Dad so Dr. Greis could look at the sore on his right shin. Dr. Greis said it was an actinic keratosis that had gotten peeled off. He said it was not infected and was healing nicely. I wheeled Dad back upstairs & temporarily put him in the Castle Living Room while I went to use the bathroom. When I got back the musicians had started and he decided he wanted to stay there & listen to them.

With Dad occupied I decided to do my mid-morning walk even though I was starting later. I made it a little shorter; I skipped the circle and I also cut out the portion around the westerly side of the park. I'm glad I did! As I was walking down Wilhelmina Rise a trio of Manu-o-Kū flew overhead! I think it might be the parents and the young that I had been seeing earlier.

Also during my mid-morning walk I saw a lot of landscape maintenance going on. At one house a lot of the non-native Formosa koa was being removed; I have heard a lot of birds in those trees in the morning.


Lunch today was Oriental shoyu chicken, Steamed rice, Malibu blend vegetables, Garden salad, Peanut butter bar, and Tomato red pepper bisque soup. Dad ate all of his 1/2 peanut butter & banana sandwich plus 2 peanut butter bars! He also drank 120 ml of apple juice. He didn't want to go in after he was done and ended up staying out on the lanai until about 1 pm.
Cutting up his sandwich is a new behavior.

Shirley & her mother were with Mr. Yamada when we got back to Dad's room. Due to some issues this morning, Mr. Yamada is being put under hospice care. I told them how satisfied we were with Hawaii Hospice and how they helped us with a lot of things with Mom. Mrs. Yamada will be trying to come every day but she doesn't drive so that will be a little challenging.

After putting up the gate section of the cat run we stopped due to lack of light. We'll finish the other end on Wednesday. We went out to dinner at Big City Diner. But I didn't remember to take photos until we had eaten a bunch of our dinners.
Pulehu NY Steak with Kim Chee Fried Rice. (Photo by The Roommate Who Likes to Wash Dishes)
Portobello Mushroom Burger. (Photo by The Roommate Who Likes to Wash Dishes)
Pupu NY Steak.
Brownie Pie Ala Mode. (Photo by The Roommate Who Likes to Wash Dishes.)

Today is Monday! There was a paper in the driveway! Aue!

No comments:

Post a Comment