Saturday, May 4, 2019

Good Bye, Doreen!

Today was the service for cousin Doreen; she passed on Easter Sunday. It was a short & sweet service at the graveside. Good thing, too; it was drizzling. Fortunately it was not coming down  in buckets like it was at the house and during the first half of my drive to the cemetery.
During my drive to the cemetery.

The service was followed by lunch at Jade Garden. Since I did not order, I so not know what the dishes were called; I just know some of the things that were in them. We were seated at a table with a couple with 2 young boys. The boys didn't like anything green but loved carbs; Curtis & I are doing low carbs but lots of vegetables. Perfect! I brought the rice and noodle dishes home for the roommates.

Salad.
Egg drop soup.
Bitter melon with black beans.
Char siu with buns.
Shrimp.
Duck with a barley stuffing.
Steamed fish.

At the end of the luncheon, Fran gave everyone a gift package. The items signified things about her mother, Doreen. The bulk of it was a package of somen, Doreen was an excellent cook! She liked owls; she had a collection of owl-themed things at their home. And she always wore a kerchief over her hair.

I had enough time in the morning to do my morning walk. Luckily for me it was dry, although I was noticing the shift in the wind that the forecasters said would bring the wet weather. And it was blowing pretty good, too.
Eight minutes before sunrise on Maunalani.
Fifteen minutes after sunrise on Sierra.
Ominous clouds moving towards the right, normally they would go towards the left.
When I come up the hill & see the hāpuʻu instead of the invasive fern, it makes me happy.

I even had enough time to clean up a couple shelves of the refrigerator. I cleaned the 2 shelves we have been using for leftovers. They were gross! Here are photos of the main shelf for the leftovers. S'mores helped out by cleaning something that spilled on the door.
The very messy refrigerator shelf.

I don't remember this coil being so large.
Clean shelf!
Next I need to work on cleaning out the vegetable drawer.
Things are back in place.
S'mores helping with the clean-up.

After we got back, The Roommate Who Likes To Wash Dishes helped me pick jabong to take to Abdul at Kokua Market. We picked 12 for Kokua and 4 for the neighbors.

In between picking jabong & delivering them, I made another batch of low-carb chocolate macadamia biscotti. I also made a batch of brownies for the roommates while the oven was hot.
Biscotti, pre-baking.
The brownies.

Then I decided to clean out the old cabinet that the phone used to sit on. I found a lot of old stuff in there. Besides phone books, Xander's old cat meds, and various small screws and tools, I also found a variety of dead electronics.
Dying smoke alarm; the note imprinted on the case says replace by 2008.
I gave this to Mom & Dad around 2009.
The old answering machine is in this box.

We had been wondering why S'mores kept peeing and pooping outside of the Cat Genie. Today I discovered why. Apparently she has bad aim! I saw her just as she was finishing up; her butt was hanging out over the edge of the Cat Genie! She should get better as she gets older, in the meanwhile if any of us see her off the mark we will position her properly.
Well, at least she got one piece in where it should be.

Hauʻoli lā Hānau to Mary!

No comments:

Post a Comment