Friday, May 24, 2019

Wow! That's Hot!

When I left the house just before 10 this morning, the car said the temperature in the shade of the garage was 100 degrees F! When I got up to Maunalani it was almost 20 degrees cooler there due to the clouds and breezes. That's a big reason why I like walking up at Maunalani. My midmorning walk had a little more breeze than there has been over the past few days.
The car had been sitting in the garage for about 2&1/2 hours when I took this photo.
On the drive up I was hoping these clouds were cooling things down.
Yay! Itʻs almost 20 degrees cooler up at Maunalani!


My morning walk was very pleasant; it did not seem like the day would get so hot! I did not see any regulars. In fact, I did not see many people at all.
Eleven minutes before sunrise on Maunalani.
Eight minutes after sunrise on Sierra.

As I was on my way home I followed a guy in a convertible BMW down the hill. He was trying to look cool, wearing his baseball cap backwards, driving with the top down. He killed it at the first intersection. He did better at this intersection.


I left early for my afternoon walk because I had to run an errand before my walk. I had to pick up more ink for the printer and also a TP-Link AC1750 router to install at the Kohala house for the solar PV system. It was a little cooler in the garage than when I left for my mid-morning walk. At Office Max it was a few degrees cooler, up at Maunalani it was a little hotter than at midmorning but still cooler than at the house.
The temperature in the garage dropped one degree in the 4 hours between walks.
I was glad to find it cooler at Maunalani.


In the morning I picked papayas, 10 of them. I should have picked the yellow one last week; it was a little riper than I would have liked it. I have found that keeping a papaya in a paper bag, even overnight, would cause it to start ripening because of the ethylene gas they release. When you buy them in bulk they come in a net bag; no ethylene gas can build up in that. When I was organizing things this morning, I was able to find a couple of net bags that Mom had saved. I added a drawstring so it is now reusable!

The net bags that Costco papayas come in.
I threaded some poly string through the mesh to make drawstrings.
Voilà! Its now reusable!

Looks like we're going to have some oranges again! I had pruned it last year after all the oranges were harvested. I'll have to do the same again this year to keep the tree short enough to harvest easily.


I also did laundry today and some cleaning. This is the 2nd time in 2 weeks that I have been able to do laundry; it's exciting! Having a regular day off is going to be great! I feel like I got a lot done today; not just twice as much as when I was only doing the morning off but going up to Maunalani for the evening. I might even be able to switch to wearing my UPF shirts for only 2 days in a row before using a new one!

The weather today was great for drying out flattened fauna! I found something that was flattened during every walk. These are all fresh kills.



I took some better photos of constructions sites I shared with you yesterday plus I got more photos. There are 10 sites that I know of that have construction going on along my walking route; 2 can't be seen from the road. I took photos throughout the day of 7 of the others. I have tried to arrange the photos of the sites according to where they are located on my route.
New boardwalk being built at Art's house.
House being deconstructed on Maunalani Circle.
The house opposite the park, at the top of Wilhelmina Rise.
New construction getting ready below the park.
A new deck has been added, plus a sliding door, to the house at the bottom of Matsonia.
The house in the sharp turn on Lurline is being renovated.
The new house being constructed just above the sharp turn on Lurline.
The orange dumpster in front of Kelly's; his construction can't be seen from the road.

This morning I ran the Cat Genie through the maintenance cleaning cycle. Luna and S'mores were very interested in what was going on.
Luna checks out the Cat Genie.
This is why the Cat Genie has a Child Lock setting!

Hauʻoli lā Hānau to Juan, Bill, Holly, & Janice!

No comments:

Post a Comment