Friday, May 10, 2019

Prepping for Pineapple Run

The Pineapple Run 10K is tomorrow. This afternoon I made a batch of my apple juice-lemonade-salt sports drink mix for the walk tomorrow. It is likely there will not be much shade since the majority of the walk will be through pineapple fields. We will spend the night at Curtis' house; he will give us a ride tomorrow to the race start point.

During my morning walk I saw LaVie waiting for the bus which arrived before I got there. Romeo & Karpo were also walking down by the bus stop. No one else was out & about. While doing my cool down stretches I saw Ken & the early dogs; later LaVie walked by on one of her multiple laps around the circle.
Two minutes before sunrise on Maunalani.
Fifteen minutes after sunrise on Sierra.

In the beginning, when I had my binoculars with me, I had been scanning the tops of trees religiously because of my training looking for raptors. But here there is only one native raptor, the I'o, which is no longer found on this island. And there are no introduced raptors only vagrants. There is only one native owl, the Pueo, which is crepuscular and can also be seen in the afternoon but it doesn't like urban areas. There is also one introduced owl, the Barn Owl, but its nocturnal. So I had gotten lax about scanning tree tops. But now I am searching for the White Cockatoo; I have started scanning religiously again. And today I saw the White Cockatoo again!
This photo was taken by putting my phone up to one of the eyepieces for the binoculars.
This is a photo just with the phone, enlarged to the same size as the one above.

Dad was in his wheelchair in the Orchid Dining Room. He was seated at a table with Mrs. Akiymama, Mr. Nakagawa, and Mr. Watanabe. For breakfast today he ate about half of his fried egg sandwich and all of his banana & papaya. He drank 120 ml of apple juice, about 60 ml coffee, but no water.

Dad's okole got sore again so he wanted to go back to bed. And once again he stayed awake! This time all the way to lunch. He would doze off for a couple of minutes but then wake up at any noise; he would ask questions about a lot of things. I was unable to leave to do my mid-morning walk. But maybe that's okay so I don't overexert myself today.

Lunch today was Chili with beans, Steamed rice, Coleslaw, Tossed salad, Cornbread, and Broccoli cheese soup. Dad ate all of his 1/2 peanut butter and jelly & banana sandwich and all of the cornbread. He drank 120 ml of apple juice and 120 ml of water.


Dad did not sleep much in the afternoon either. But I was able to do my afternoon walk since Curtis was coming to sit with Dad. It was hot; the only regular I saw was Ken working in his yard. He has a banana variety called Moa which has developed 2 fruiting stalks. He said he would give me a couple to try when they are ready.


DT had a bunch of Wendy's coupons so I went to dinner with my nephews to expand my popular culture knowledge; I do not ever remember eating at a Wendy's before. Brent ordered a Baconator combo with & a Chocolate Frosty, I ordered a Son of Baconator & a Strawberry Lemonade, and DT only ordered dessert. Our order got very mixed up. We had wanted onion rings but they were out. The receipt said Tropicalberry Lemonade instead of strawberry. They were out of chocolate so they substituted vanilla for the Frosty & didn't say anything until they handed it to us. And when we got back to Curtis' house we discovered my Son of Baconator was actually a Baconator; I ate it anyway. And yes, I ate the carbs with it; I'll work them off tomorrow.
Getting ready to order.
One of the menu boards.
This was supposed to be Son of Baconator but turned out to be a Baconator.
A Baconator combo.
Here's a shot of just the burger, it looks like mine.
DT's dessert; I can't remember what its called.

As far as fast food goes, I still prefer a Five Guys burger. As for all burgers, I prefer a burger made from locally raised beef; I think the one I had at the Kohala Village HUB was the best so far. The beef was raised at Kahua Ranch about 5 miles from the restaurant and was the best tasting, most tender burger I have ever had. 

FYI After some discussion it has come to light that I have also never eaten at Burger King. I might also have not eaten at Taco Bell; I know I have eaten at the one that has the cactus as a logo. I might also have never eaten at a Chipotle's; I'll have to see the logo to know for sure. My nephews have decided to help me learn about popular culture!

Hauʻoli lā Hānau to Margaret!

No comments:

Post a Comment