Thursday, May 30, 2019

Honolulu Magazine Interview

About 10 days ago Jayna from Honolulu Magazine called. She was given Dad's name by Lynn, Dad's friend Walter's daughter; she's the one who comes & plays ukulele every Monday afternoon. Jayna is working on a story about the 442nd RCT, 100th Battalion, & MIS veterans for an article that will come out in the December. We got Dad in to his wheelchair and we sat out on the lanai with Jayna. She asked both Dad & us questions; we did most of the answering. She will come back later with a photographer. I skipped the mid-morning walk due to the interview.


I had a great morning walk! It was dry, cool & breezy! And about a quarter way up Lurline I caught up with Ona & Rio; usually she walks so fast I can't keep up but Rio had to check out all the smells he missed while Ona was traveling. We walked together up Lurline until we parted ways at the circle. I had a great visit with her while we walked; Rio is also getting more used to me so he no longer barks at me or moves away. Earlier I saw LaVie walking up to the bus stop; she didn't miss the bus today. During my cool down stretches I saw Ken & the early-rising dogs; I also saw Ona & Rio on their way back down.
Eight minutes before sunrise on Maunalani.
Eleven minutes after sunrise on Sierra.
Ona & Rio starting up Lurline.

Dad was awake & sitting in the Orchid Dining Room waiting for his breakfast; he was sharing a table with Mr. Watanabe. Later Mr. Kam joined us. Dad ate half of his fried egg sandwich, all the papaya, & all the banana. He drank 120 ml cranberry juice, a sip of coffee, but no water. He went back to bed shortly after finishing his breakfast; his okole was sore again. He agreed to  get back in the wheelchair for the interview.


Lunch today was Spaghetti & meat sauce, Italian vegetable blend, Garden salad, Fresh honeydew cubes, and Cream of broccoli soup. Dad ate all of his 1/2 peanut butter & banana sandwich but no dessert; he has never liked melons. He drank only 120 ml apple juice. I always offer Dad what is in the lunch that Maunalani provides for me; he always refuses. Except today. He wanted some spaghetti, I only put the meat sauce on his plate because I thought he would have problems with the noodles but he asked for noodles also! I was expecting him to just push it away like he did with the bento yesterday after he said he wanted to eat it; but he didn't. He ate everything I gave him!

I skipped the afternoon walk; Mr. Yamada passed about 2 pm, so I stayed with Mrs. Yamada, Shirley, & the rest of the family. I will miss seeing them every Sunday; Shirley would make all of her dad's favorite foods to try to get him to eat more. She would also make little things for the holidays; she always made an extra one for Dad, like the Christmas tree. Shirley's brother Brian & his family came in from California last night; they brought me some omiyage from Trader Joe's. I had a box of Big Island cookies for them for omiyage!


I have been trying to figure out where the trees that the White Cockatoo perches in are located. Starting with the photos from the viewpoint that I previously posted, I have marked which trees I think I am looking at on a Google Map. Finally, I have photos from street level as I walk through the neighborhood; except for Tree #5 which can't be seen from my walking route. I have kept the same color codes for the arrows.
L to R: Tree #1 (red), Tree #2 (blue), & Tree #3 (yellow).
L to R: Tree #2 (blue), Tree #3 (yellow), Tree #4 (orange), & Tree #5 (green).
Google Map showing sightline to trees.
Tree #1 on Matsonia, as seen from the lower part of Lurline.
Tree #2 on Matsonia, as seen from the intersection with Sierra.
Tree #3 on Sierra, as seen from the opposite side of the road.
Tree #4 on Wilhelmina, as seen from the intersection with Sierra.

When I got home I picked a bunch of jabong to take to Kokua Market. When I went to drop them off Abdul was not in but John was. I found out John is newly emigrated from Canada and also interested in herbology & mushrooms. After I returned from Kokua, I picked the papayas that had a little hint of yellow starting. I harvested 10 papayas; Jenny will take 6, I left 2 each out for Lois & Marcus to pick up when they come by.
Eight jabong on their way to Kokua Market.
This week's harvest of 10 papayas.

Hauʻoli lā Hānau to George!

No comments:

Post a Comment