Tuesday, May 21, 2019

Ala Wai Golf Course Restaurant

I have started a spreadsheet of the places we want to visit for breakfast as well as places we have already eaten at; its still in its preliminary phase and already has 100 places listed! Most of which we have not tried; I need to go back through the blog to retrieve information about the places we have already eaten at. Today we went to the first place on the list because that meant we didn't have to ponder where to go. The Ala Wai Golf Course Restaurant is a concession operated by L & L Barbecue. Curtis had the Sumo Omelette and I had the Garlic Ahi Breakfast Plate. We both liked our breakfasts and would come back again. If you are planning on having the Garlic Ahi, and will be in close proximity to people shortly thereafter, bring some breath mints, they garnish it with lots of chopped garlic! FYI Ala Wai is a public golf course so they can't turn you away for not being a member like Waialae Country Club did when we tried to eat there.
This is the front, you can't really tell what it is.
There's no sign on the door either; you just have to know this is it.
The menu board.
Sumo Omelette, before.
Sumo Omelette, opened.
Garlic Ahi Breakfast Plate.
The view from our table.

After sharing the breakfast list with Curtis, I will be refining it. I am adding a column to just keep count of how many places are on the list. I am adding a legend for how good the venue is; "*" for the Top 10, "+" for "must go back again", and "-" for "won't go back again"; if there is no notation it was a neutral experience. We are also eliminating anything that opens at 10 or later, it is no longer "breakfast" for us when its getting to be that late. I make notes if the place is closed on Tuesdays; we have been known to alter our breakfast day to try a venue that is closed on Tuesdays. I am trying to find a way to link the list to the blog; most likely it will show up in the Resources section.

Because of how early sunrise is now, I had enough time to do my morning walk and my entire cool down stretch routine before needing to get back to the house in time for breakfast. I saw no regulars during my walk and only saw LaVie twice as I was doing my cool down stretches. I also saw and heard the White Cockatoo!
Twenty minutes before sunrise on Maunalani.
At sunrise on Sierra!
White cockatoo (Cacatua alba).

Immediately after getting back from breakfast I changed in to my walking clothes, applied sunscreen, & headed up for my mid-morning walk. I started early at 9:10, cut it a little short by the park, and finished by 9:40. I saw Chip working in his garage but no one else. I skipped the cool down stretches and was back home by 9:57; Kimo from Terminix was scheduled to arrive between 10 and 12 noon.


I started a load of laundry as soon as I got back from my mid-morning walk. It was hung out and drying shortly after 11; Kimo still had not arrived. I was now wondering whether I should have also started a batch of low-carb Chocolate Macadamia Biscotti since I am totally out of them.

When I got back from my morning walk I noticed that the large Purple mattress bag in the bulk pick up pile was gone. And a brown pillow & a bunch of empty picture frames had shown up. When I first saw the big purple bag it reminded me of a body bag, perhaps some soon-to-be-criminal had taken it! Later, I heard a truck pull in to the driveway & assumed it was Kimo from Terminix, a few minutes later it left so I went out & checked; the pillows for the green chair were missing! Why not also take the chair? The concrete weights were also gone; perhaps the person who took the big purple body bag came back for them?
Sunday evening when we put it out.
This morning the big purple bag is gone, replaced by the brown pillow, red thing, CPU, & frames.
Around noon pillows, concrete weights, & some frames are gone.

I am going to miss watching what happens with things during bulk pick up week. One of the funniest things I saw was a couple years ago. Some one was getting rid of a bunch of living room furniture; it was just piled up on the side of the road. The next day when I drove by I saw that someone had rearranged the furniture to look like a living room along the side of the road! I came back later to take a photo but it had all been picked up by then.

Since Kimo had not arrived by 12:30 I decided to eat lunch; if he was not there by the time I finished I would call. I had the Surfing Pig leftover pulled pork and shredded cabbage it was sitting on for lunch, along with the last slider. Kimo did not arrive, I called Terminix; it turns out Kimo called in sick and the office forgot to call & let me know they had to cancel! Aue! I am now rescheduled for next Wednesday morning. I should have made the Chocolate Macadamia Biscotti!

Because I was so delayed in leaving I was not going to go up to stay with Dad since Curtis would arrive an hour or so after I got there. I called to let him know & he reminded me that Tuesday was now his day off; he also had a dentist appointment this afternoon. Since I had not been there all day I decided to go up for the evening shift and skip the afternoon walk; besides, it was 92 degrees F when I left the house! Thankfully it was only 84 F at Maunalani. But the trade winds are going to be very light for a few days.
The temperature at home as I was leaving.
The temperature at Maunalani.

Supposedly we started the new schedule for newspaper delivery on Sunday, where we only get a paper on Wednesday-Thursday-Friday-Sunday. But we got a paper yesterday. On Monday. Now its Tuesday. We got a paper. It doesn't seem to be working.


Dinner was Chinese style steamed fish, Steamed rice, Seasoned broccoli cuts. Almond float, and Hot & sour soup. I liked the fish and the soup was really good, too! Dad ate all of his 1/2 tuna sandwich but didn't touch the dessert. He drank 120 ml cranberry juice but no water.


I saw the Shy Cat and the Sleepy Cat during my morning walk. As I see them more frequently, their names suit them less and less. Shy Cat is no longer wary of me; he knows I am not a threat. And I am now seeing Sleepy Cat during the early morning hunting hours rather than the later, hotter hours that are better for sitting still.

I had an unpleasant surprise last night; I got jabbed by a straight pin as I was climbing in to bed. This happened a couple months ago also. When my Okinawan grandmother made this patchwork quilt she must have been forgetful or perhaps her eyesight was not so good anymore.
The forgotten straight pin.
Cutting off as much of the pin as possible.
That's more like it!

Hauʻoli lā Hānau to Clancy!

No comments:

Post a Comment