Thursday, May 9, 2019

Wow! They've Got a Band!

In early January DT became the band director at Saint Louis School. Tonight was the first concert his students have had since he started, so he's had about 4 months to work with them. He sent us a recording of what they sounded like when he started so that we could hear their progress. They have made amazing progress! After the concert Dr. Azuma's dental hygienist, Lori, came up to me and said one of the parents in the band's booster club told her, "We have a band!" Lori is also in the booster club even though her son graduated several years ago.

Curtis & Lori enter the Mamiya Theatre to attend the concert.
DT explaining one of the methods he used to teach the students.
DT leading the first-year students.
DT leading the concert band students playing, Into the Clouds.
Some of the lei DT received after the concert.

During my morning walk I saw LaVie at the bus stop; Romeo & Karpo walked by as we were talking. Later I saw Kelly & Abby leaving for the park. While doing my cool down stretches I saw Ken & the early dogs and LaVie twice again. Popokilani also came by for a short visit, then she went to eat grass.
Twelve minutes before sunrise on Maunalani.
Thirteen minutes after sunrise on Sierra.
Popokilani eating grass.

I think the bird that I saw a few months ago was a juvenile White-rumped Shama not an American Pipit. Today during my cool down stretches I saw an adult shama fly in to a tree & it was immediately joined by 2 of those birds. What confused me is that the younger juveniles do not have the long tail like the adult; none of the resources I checked notes that the younger juveniles have short tails or has photos of them at that stage. I could only find a photo of a young juvenile with a short tail when I searched for "juvenile white-rumped shama"; and even then there was only 1 out of about 30 photos with the short tail. I could not get any good photos of the 2 that I saw.

I also checked on the flattened Zebra Dove. It was flatter and had been moved a bit by being run over.


Dad was awake and in the Orchid Dining Room eating breakfast; I made him a cup of coffee. He ate all of his fried egg sandwich and banana and most of his papaya. He drank 120 ml of apple juice, about 60 ml of water, and about 60 ml of coffee. He wanted to go upstairs but that didn't last long, his okole got sore. When we got back to his room they moved him to his bed; he promptly fell asleep!


When I returned from changing in to my walking clothes and putting on my sunscreen Dad was awake! He stayed up for a bit but didn't want to do any activities; by the time he fell asleep again it was too late for me to start walking so I ended up skipping the mid-morning walk.

So I worked on getting the Internet set up at the Kohala house instead. Hawaiian Telcom does not have Internet service in that area so my only option is Spectrum. That was a painful phone call. The "promotional" rate is $44.99/mo for 12 months, then it goes up to $64.99/mo; but that's not the painful part. In order to lock in that rate I was told I needed to schedule for a technician to come out to the house; I requested June 3rd since I plan on being there then. I was told the latest I could make it at this time was May 25th from 12 noon to 2 pm. I explained I was on a different island and would be on the same island as the service location on June 3rd; I was told that I should call on May 25th between 12 noon and 2 pm and reschedule to have the technician come on June 3rd. Which would be a waste of time for the technician. Then the sales rep tried to convince me that they had a better Internet deal of $29.99/mo ... if I bundled it with television and land line service; I explained I did not have a TV, had not had one for 37 years, and was not going to have one. I had to explain it several times. And at $29.99/mo for each of the 3 services it would be more than $44.99/mo so it really wasn't a savings for me. I had to say that several times also. (I forgot to mention to her that there will not be a land line at that house.) So now  I have an appointment for installation on May 25th between 12 noon and 2 pm; I figured out I should be a be to call by the end of next week to reschedule it so the technician doesn't waste time going to the house only to call me and find out I want it rescheduled to June 3rd. (I clarified that with the sales rep, she did not come up with that solution on her own.) Aue!
This is what looked like the best offer for me for Internet from Spectrum.
This is what the rep thought was a better "deal", Internet for $29.99/mo ... with a couple of strings.

Lunch today was Salmon croquettes, Steamed rice, Malibu blend veggies, Garden salad, Brownie, and Egg drop soup; I ate the salad, salmon, veggies, and soup. Dad ate all of his 1/2 peanut butter & banana sandwich and his brownie; then he ate my brownie. He drank 120 ml apple juice and about 60 ml water.


I skipped the afternoon walk also since Dad was restless. I'll do the coffee for at least a week to see how it goes. I may have to alter my walking schedule to accommodate his new behaviors. Since I didn't walk I had enough time to take a shower before heading out to pick Brent up so we could get our race packets for the Pineapple Run 10K this Saturday.
Route for the Pineapple Run.
My bib number.
They give you your t-shirt when you pick up your race packet.

Since he works across the street from Don Quijote, I stopped there to pick up a kukui lei for DT; they had several styles. Brent suggested the one with the flowers painted on them. While at DQ, I also stopped in to check on the books Kai was interested in; there were none. For him. But I found one for me!
The choice of kukui lei.

After the concert The Roommates & I went out to dinner since I didn't have time to eat before the concert. We went to Big City Diner. The Roommate Who Likes to Wash Dishes had the Mushroom Burger, The Potential Most Favorite Roommate had the Thai Salad, and I had the Pulehu-style NY Steak.
Mushroom Burger.
Thai Salad.
Pulehu-Style NY Steak with Grilled Onions & Mushrooms.

Hauʻoli lā Hānau to John!

No comments:

Post a Comment