Sunday, May 26, 2019

Walking with Steph

I was just about finished with my morning walk; I was at the top of Sierra when I saw Steph! She was on her way up Sierra; I started down to meet her part way. I walked with her as she made her way around the circle; Caroline & Olive were walking about a block ahead of us. Steph had great news about Lauren; she got straight A's for all 17 credits that she took last semester! Lauren also got a bunch of scholarships & grants that will pay her tuition for next semester! Way to go, Lauren!
Steph in the distance trudging up Sierra.

I also saw LaVie on my morning walk; I was on my way down Sierra below the park, she was on her way up Wilhelmina going to the bus stop. She was a little late and asked if the bus had passed; it had not. Just before I saw LaVie, I saw the White Cockatoo flying up the ravine; I lost sight of it behind some trees before it landed. Later the bus passed me as I was going up Lurline. As I approached Kelly's house, I saw one of the contractors; it was a little after 6 & seemed a little early to me to start working in a residential area! During my cool down stretches I saw Ken and the early-rising dogs go by.
Twelve minutes before sunrise on Maunalani.
Six minutes after sunrise on Sierra.

Here's a photo of Steve's place; like Kelly's project, you can't see it from the road. I only know about it  because I saw the concrete truck and pumper one morning and asked him about it when I saw him the next day. They are building a bocce court in the back yard.


Dad was still in bed when I arrived. As I was asking Dad if he wanted to get up & eat in the dining room, CNA Ashley walked in with his tray. He asked if he had to pay for his breakfast, when I said the VA was paying for everything, he said, "Well, let's go then!" He sat at a table with Mrs. Keliikipi and Mrs. Toyama. He ate about 1/4 of his fried egg sandwich and all of the papaya & banana. He drank 120 ml each of apple juice & coffee but no water.


There was some high overcast mixed with scattered clouds during my  mid-morning walk; it made it much cooler than it has been! Plus there were some nice breezes! I saw Mike hosing down his driveway; I did not recall seeing any mess on it when I walked by earlier but he lives across from one of the potential Manu-o-Kū nest trees so I might have been looking elsewhere. I could hear construction noises when I walked past Kelly's; they were working on the retaining wall.


This is breeding season for many birds. I saw a pair of unfortunate Zebra Doves. Normally Zebra Doves have low survival instincts; they let you get within a couple of feet before the fly off. When they are in the middle of the road courting, its even worse. Fortunately for the survival of the species, this pair has been removed from the gene pool!



Lunch today was Pork tofu, Steamed rice, Stir fry vegetable blend, Tossed salad, Carrot cake, Garden vegetable soup, and Caramel cheesecake. Obviously there was only cheesecake for dessert today. Dad ate all of the 1/2 peanut butter & banana sandwich and 2 cheesecakes! He drank 120 ml each of apple juice and cranberry juice but no water; may be we need to offer him juice with meals to get more fluids in him. He asks for water between meals so he would still be getting plain water.


As I was on my way to put on my sunscreen for my afternoon walk I saw Mrs. Lipman; for the past few weeks I would always see her during my cool down stretches. This was the 1st time I had seen her in the afternoon; I figured it was because of the weekend, so I mentioned it. Turns out afternoon visits were not her norm; she was here to pick him up from his last day of rehab! I am glad I saw her; when I see that his name tag is gone tomorrow I will know it was for a happy reason.

There was a high overcast with scattered clouds during the afternoon walk which cut down on the heat. The trade winds were also blowing quite well so it was manageable. Because I had walked an extra lap around the circle in the morning with Steph, I skipped it on this walk. Bailey was very calm when I walked past her yard this afternoon; she has been getting much calmer since I saw her on the road with Kira & Adam and played with her there.


I went to his room to talk to The Roommate Who Likes to Wash Dishes. S'mores was sleeping in one of his dresser drawers!


Hauʻoli lā Hānau to Janice & Mari!

No comments:

Post a Comment