Wednesday, May 1, 2019

Dad Has a Very Good Day

When I got to Dad's room he was already in his wheelchair and eating breakfast in the dining room; he was sitting with Mr. Shinagawa, Mr. Miyahira, and Mrs. Yoshimura. He ate half of his fried egg sandwich, all of his banana, and half of his papaya. It was raining during breakfast.
You can usually see the airport from here.

After breakfast he wanted to go upstairs. He sat through all the activities in the Castle Living Room starting with exercises. While he was there I went to pick pakalana for Kiʻini, she did a lei making demonstration later in the afternoon.
CNA Eena leads the residents in exercises.

On our way out to the lanai for lunch, CNA Jessa took a little detour to get Dad's weight. His official weight for May is 145.6 pounds so he is staying relatively stable. In January he was 141.3, in February he went up to 145 so we decreased his supplements to 1 per meal; he had been doing 2 per meal before that. In March he went down to 142 but that was okay since they want his weight to be between 130 and 140. In April he went back up to 145; we stopped all Boost supplements since he has been eating more solid food. The small weight gain might be due to him eating even more solid food. We'll keep an eye on his weight to see what happens over the next month.
CNA Jessa pushes Dad on to the scale.
Dad checks out the weight, the wheelchair weight will be subtracted from it.
Out on the lanai waiting for lunch.

Lunch today was Pork tofu, Steamed rice, Peas and carrots, Green salad, Coconut macaroon, and Vegetable soup. Dad ate all of his peanut butter & banana sandwich, his dessert and half of mine! He drank all 120 ml of apple juice and about 60ml of water.



Dad stayed in the wheelchair for about 5&1/2 hours today. I think part of that was because I fell asleep when we were out on the lanai so he didn't want to wake me up to take him back inside. I think if we keep him awake more we can manage his weight gain. CNA Jessa suggested offering coffee in the morning so he stays awake more and can be more active. She'll start that tomorrow.

The walk this morning was a little damp. It started out dry but began to spritz as I was coming around the circle. It did that on and off for the rest of my walk but dried up during my cool down stretches. During my walk I saw LaVie at the bus stop again and Romeo & Karpo by their house. As I was wrapping up I saw Ona & Rio headed down the hill; she leaves later today. During my cool down stretches I saw Ken & his dogs and the Dog Pack; LaVie also walked by. And I heard the White Cockatoo calling again; it sounded like it was down by Michael & Spike's house.
Five minutes before sunrise on Maunalani.
Fourteen minutes after sunrise on Sierra.

I stopped to check on the hapuʻu; I had noticed that Kelly had trimmed off the old, brown fronds. I reset one of the spray heads. All the ferns are looking good. (He did not trim the palapalai; I'll have to do my job and take care of that.)


I also found a bunch of mushrooms popping up after the rains that have been occurring. I'm not sure what they are.
Mushrooms in the lawn.
Since they have no volva they might be agarics.
Young mushroom.
Another species of young mushroom.
It's got a conical cap.

During breakfast I got a call from Fern from the local Terminix office; that was fast! She went through all their records and could find nothing showing that there was an appointment for any type of inspection on the 18th or a reschedule for the 29th. She found the same as I did online - the next scheduled appointment is in May. She told me exactly when it would be, that there is an interior portion, and that it would be Kimo doing the inspection; he's been here before. We can't figure out what was going on with that call on the 18th. One thing I forgot to mention about yesterday's phone call; while on the call I saw 2 Manu-o-Ku playing in the thermals above Maunalani!

Just after breakfast, Curtis texted me a photo of the hand he was dealt in the video poker game he was playing. He got a Royal Flush! I had given him $20 to play with, he said I would get a cut of the winnings from that hand. Lori & Jenny also gave him some money to play; they're also getting a cut.


After lunch Mr. Yamada returned from his doctor's appointment with his daughter Shirley. Her husband Guy was going to come up and give her mother a ride home then come back up again to pick her up after she finished feeding her father. I offered her a ride since I have to go to the dentist and was leaving at 3; Guy's office is near where I needed to go. We had a great time.

I dropped Shirley off near Dr. Ching's office where she could meet up with Guy. Dr. Ching said my bone graft looked like it was healing nicely. The pocket that was the reason for the bone graft was healing nicely and had pockets no more than 3 mm deep; I have had up to 9 mm deep pockets in this area apparently due to a defect created when my wisdom tooth grew sideways and pushed against the side of tooth #18.
Looking down the hall from the waiting room.


Today I saw Mrs. Akiyama, Mrs. Chong, Mrs. Kusunoki, and Uncle Tony; I also found out that Mr. Ikeda had passed. There are 2 more residents that I need to track down to see if they are still with here. There was another ambulance this morning; they left with a resident from the 3rd floor who I am not familiar with.


Popokilani is so mellow! She slept at the front door as RN Ryan ran through the doors this morning. And she was also ignoring me when I walked up until I stopped and reached down to pet her.


When I left the dentist I went to Kokua Market to see what they are carrying now. They have been successful in raising money to pay off their creditors and are now restocking items. I picked up some basic things like eggs and unsweetened soymilk. But I did find kiawe flour that I had been looking for; it is a gluten free flour that I will pick up when David is coming to visit and experiment with it when he is here. I also talked with Abdul in the produce department and offered to give them our jabong if they wanted it. I will give him one to try to see if he thinks it will sell.


I also stopped at Foodland to pick up bags of salad; Kokua doesn't have those. This time I picked up the bags without the dressing and toppings; I decided that is the best way for me to minimize carbs in my salad. While there I checked out the Oreo section; DT had brought home a bag of Carrot Cake Oreo that I was totally unfamiliar with. But I was never a fan of Oreos and never went looking for the original ones so I never saw the others. There are a lot of different varieties of Oreos, but you probably already knew that. I don't know, may be if I had a TV I would have learned about them? Curtis says I have missed a lot of popular culture since I spent so much time without a TV (about 37 years).
There weren't any original Oreos here.

Hauʻoli lā Hānau to Fred & Shoji! And Hauʻoli lā Hoʻomanao #8 to Noel & Cheryl! Today would have been Xander's 17th birthday.

No comments:

Post a Comment