Saturday, May 18, 2019

Manu-o-Kū Festival 2019

Today was the annual Manu-o-Kū Festival; I went to it again this year. I wanted to find out what else was new. I also wanted to find out about other citizen science projects that I might be able to help with this year. I got a lot of great leads, reconnected with people I had met before, and met some new people.


During my morning walk there was a very light drizzle for about the middle portion; the beginning & end were relatively dry. I did not see any regulars either during the walk or later during my cool down stretches. As I was finishing my cool down another passing drizzle came through; I watched it come in from over the ocean. I did see the irrigation for the hāpuʻu turn off at 6:17, so now I know it stays on at least 17 minutes; I want to spend one of my Fridays there around solar noon to see how dry the fronds get before the irrigation comes on again.
Seven minutes before sunrise on Maunalani.
Eleven minutes after sunrise on Sierra.
Leahi at 6:25.
Leahi at 7:04.
Slugs crowded around where I stand to take my reference photo.

Dad was already eating breakfast in bed when I arrived. He ate all of his fried egg sandwich as well as half the papaya and all of the banana. He drank 120 ml of apple juice but no water. Dad went back to sleep immediately after finishing his breakfast, so I started my mid-morning walk a little early. Because I started earlier, it was a little cooler than usual.


Because of the Manu-o-Kū Festival, I skipped lunch at Maunalani. On the way back from the festival I stopped at Kokua Market to talk to Abdul; he wants more pomelo! He also asked me if I would like some bananas or papayas; I told him I was trying the low carb diet so I can't eat a lot of fruit. Abdul gave me a bunch of kale; I sauteed it up for lunch with a little olive oil, sausage, and ponzu sauce. The kale cooked down quite a bit but it was delicious!


I skipped the afternoon walk; the Roommates and I cleaned out the shed in the back. We sorted out things to get rid of for bulk pick up on Monday, things to be kept, and things for the garage sale. The garage sale will be some time in June.
During our clean-out.
After clean-out.

One of the things we found in the shed was a mini-trampoline. The Roommates put it together and tested it; if it was not okay it was going to go in to the bulk pick up pile.

It still works!

We also found 2 pieces of balsa wood in the shed that Dad used for watercolors; the paper is taped to the board either wet or dry. One of the boards had Dad's initials along with a Buddhist swastika; it is interesting that the boards were kept all these years since Dad has never made any move to get back in to doing artwork. I plan on keeping the boards and using them when I do my watercolors.

I found the paper on the top of the car again.


Hauʻoli lā Hānau to Robert, Neil, Bill, Susan, & Danny! This is also the 39th anniversary of the eruption of Mount St. Helens!

No comments:

Post a Comment