Thursday, May 16, 2019

Forgot My Clean Shirt Today

So I had to spend the entire day in my sweaty UPF shirt. At least I didn't get rained on otherwise I would have smelled like wet dog. Not sure exactly what I smelled like because this was Day 3; I don't have enough shirts to wear one a day for 2 weeks, so I have to wear each for 3 days. All have new technology to minimize odors, but still I am wearing a shirt with 2 days worth of sweat soaked into it.
My sweaty selfie.

It was spritzing when I started my walk this morning. It continued for most of my walk but was so light it never soaked through like yesterday's morning walk. I saw Cody & Rollie on the way to the park with their human; Cody was ambivalent this morning. LaVie was not at the bus stop this morning; I passed her below the park as she was on her way up to the bus shelter. I didn't see any other regulars even during my cool down stretches.
Ten minutes before sunrise on Maunalani.
Eight minutes after sunrise on Sierra.

Dad was in the Orchid Dining Room waiting for his breakfast when I arrived. He was sharing a table with Mrs. Akiyama, Mr. Watanabe, and Mr. Miyahira. After I said "Good Morning" to everyone in the dining room he said, "You sure know a lot of people!" Dad ate all of his fried egg sandwich, papaya, and banana. He drank 120 ml apple juice and 60 ml coffee, but no water. He went to sleep right after breakfast in spite of the caffeine.


During my mid-morning walk around Maunalani Circle Andrei ran past me, twice! On his 3rd time around he was walking, he had already done 10 laps and was going to do 10 more! As I was ending my walk I was wondering if I would see him again and how many more laps he would need to complete his run. I did see him, he was on his way back home! He did the 10 laps in about 20 minutes; each lap is about 0.4 miles so he did about 4 miles in about 20 minutes.
Andrei in the distance on his 3rd lap past me.
Andrei is already down and around the curve!

During my mid-morning walk I also saw a pair of Manu-o-Ku flying overhead. They appeared to be heading up to the top of the circle. Then later, as I was doing my cool down stretches I saw another Manu-o-Ku going in the same direction, I watched it hoping to see which tree it was headed for but it flew up and over a tree near the upper parking lot and disappeared! On my afternoon walk I checked out the clump of trees that it was headed for.

Two Manu-o-Ku flying over head.
Red line is approximate path of the last Manu-o-Ku as it flew past the building then over the tree in the background.
I think the Manu-o-Ku might have been heading for these trees.

Lunch today was Pork tofu, Steamed rice, Tossed salad, Sweet corn haupia, and Vegetable beef soup. Dad ate all of his 1/2 peanut butter and banana sandwich and 2 haupias! He only drank about 60 ml of apple juice.


As I was leaving for my afternoon walk a pair of EMTs were entering the elevator with a gurney and going to the 2nd floor; I'm not sure who they came to pick up. As I left the building I heard a siren coming up the hill; it turned in to the parking lot and headed for the main entrance.



I had stopped to check on the hāpuʻu during my afternoon walk. There were a lot of weeds and they were closing in on the palapalai. One of the shrubs was also overshadowing one of the palapalai. I was going to send Kelly a text about coming over to weed the ferns but I actually saw him when I was leaving so I asked him in person. I'll be cleaning things up next week some time.


I stopped at Kokua Market to check in with Abdul about how the jabong were selling. He wasn't in today. But I did find the jabong, they were selling for $1.49 a pound, only 3 were left. I also checked on the price of papayas; $2.19 a pound or $1.99 per pound for members. If those papayas I harvested on Tuesday were a pound each, they would be about $22 for a non-member and about $20 for members.
Jabong.
Papayas.

Somehow I cracked the case for my laptop the other day. Not sure how I did it. I pulled it out of my backpack and saw the crack; I had not dropped my backpack. I know how the case got the wear marks, I use it a lot when it is sitting in my lap.


Because I was so sweaty I took a shower as soon as I got home. When I got out S'mores jumped in to the shower to play with the water dripping off my washcloth!


Hauʻoli lā Hānau to Mr. Tanaka and Terri!

No comments:

Post a Comment