Friday, May 3, 2019

I Saw the Cockatoo!

During my cool down stretches this morning I heard the Rose-ringed Parakeets making a lot of noise from somewhere behind me. When I turned towards the direction of the commotion I immediately saw a large white bird sitting in the top of a tree; the Rose-ringeds were mobbing it, trying to drive it away. The tree was in the ravine behind Michael & Spike's house. Because of the distance, this is the best photo I could get of the White Cockatoo. I really need to invest in those binoculars that have a camera built in to them.


The rest of my morning walk and cool down was not as exciting. I only saw Kavita towards the end of my walk and Ken during my cool down stretches. I did see the Shy Cat; it's getting less shy about me coming by.
Seven minutes before sunrise on Maunalani.
Eleven minutes after sunrise on Sierra.
Shy Cat is more relaxed when it sees me now.

I also checked out some of the plants on my route. The Norfolk Island Pine "cones" are getting larger. And I took a more artsy, less restoration-oriented photo of the hāpuʻu.



Dad was in bed eating breakfast when I arrived. Over the next hour or so he ate all of his fried egg sandwich, all of his banana, and almost all of his papaya. I found out from LPN Chivas that they would count this as 100% because they only count the main dish of the meal. Dad also drank 120 ml each of apple juice and water. He's doing very well with his eating.

During the mid-morning walk I saw the Shy Cat again! It was out stalking something in the grass. As I was on my way up Lurline I ran in to Mike; Wilts was not with him  so I walked with him. I found he's been living on Maunalani for almost 50 years! And his wife takes care of the feral cats that I am seeing around his house. I had a very nice visit with him.
Shy Cat thinks I am annoying!

During my cool down stretches I forgot to bring my binoculars so I was glad I did not see any white blobs in the distance! I did confirm that the tree I saw the cockatoo in this morning is the one in the ravine behind Michael & Spike's house. I also saw the sprayer on when we passed the hāpuʻu; I am happy about that!

Lunch today was Pork fried rice, Pacific vegetable mix, Tossed salad, Fresh strawberries, and Egg drop soup; a somewhat keto-unfriendly meal. I only ate half of the fried rice; I will need to keep a meat bar in my backpack for emergencies like this. Dad ate all of his 1/2 peanut butter & banana sandwich and half of his strawberries. He drank 120 ml of apple juice and 120 ml of water. He gave LPN Chivas a difficult time with taking his mid-day medications; we tried 3 times and he still refused; we'll try again tomorrow.


I skipped the afternoon walk since Dad was very much awake when it was time for me to be leaving for the walk. Instead I waited for him to fall asleep, then I went to visit with Mrs. Iseri & Mrs. Tanaka; I had little gifts for them from Big Island Candies. I try to find a small item in a little bag or nicely decorated box that they can hang on to after all the cookies are eaten.

Dinner tonight was Sesame ginger fish, Brown rice, Spinach with garlic butter, Unfrosted banana cake, and Italian wedding soup. The rice was not brown, but I would have skipped it anyway because I had the pork fried rice at lunch. Dad ate all of his 1/2 tuna sandwich and all of dessert. He drank 120 ml each of apple juice and water.


Hauʻoli lā Hānau to Aunty Judy, Mary Ellen, & Mary D.!

No comments:

Post a Comment