Tuesday, October 22, 2019

Another Emergency

As I was headed up to Maunalani after breakfast, I heard a siren nearby. At the intersection where Sierra ends at the circle a fire truck made the turn just ahead of me. I stopped because I knew the ambulance would be close behind and it was. I had some things to take care of at the front desk for the Veterans Day celebration; by the time I was done I saw who they were there for. It was Mr. Shinagawa! He was on his way to Queens Hospital.
The ambulance turns on to Maunalani Circle as the fire truck enters the parking lot.
The ambulance in the parking lot.

During my sunrise walk I saw Tina with Massimo, Ink, & Chloe Bacon on the circle; Ink was acting like I was his best friend whom he had not seen in a really long time! As I passed the top of Lurline, I waved at Kavita as she was making her way up Lurline. I saw Mary & Noe by the park and a short while later I saw Lynnette and her friend. I saw all 4 of them again later; Mary & Noe had stopped up at the top of Lurline to rest  drink some water and Lynnette & her friend caught up with them. It sounded like they are all neighbors down off of Monterey.
Twenty-three minutes before sunrise on Waiʻalae.
Eleven minutes before sunrise on Maunalani.
Six minutes after sunrise on Sierra.

The Bronco Dude is here visiting. We took him out to breakfast this morning to Waioli Kitchen and Bake Shop. He had the Breakfast Sandwich, Curtis had the Waioli Egg Breakfast Plate, and I tried the Short Rib Loco Moco. Everything was great! The Bronco Dude really liked the atmosphere of the place.


Curtis sits at our table at the edge of the lawn.
Breakfast Sandwich. (Photo by The Bronco Dude)
Waioli Egg Breakfast Plate. (Photo by Curtis)
Short Rib Loco Moco.

Since we started breakfast a little later than usual, we also ended a little later than usual. I skipped the mid-morning walk; I arrived at Maunalani at the time I would have been wrapping up my walk and starting on my cool down stretches. I also skipped the afternoon walk, I kept falling asleep.

Nursing Supervisor Remy came by during lunch. She explained that Dr. Griese has started Dad on an ophthalmic antibiotic as a precaution in case he does have conjunctivitis. She is also starting enhanced contact procedures to keep the conjunctivitis from spreading, if that's what it is. That means any time we are working closely with Dad we need to wear a gown and  gloves so we don't spread the conjunctivitis. I think they are taking this episode more seriously since he had a slight discharge from his eye.

Dad's appetite has returned; he ate all of his 1/2 peanut butter & banana sandwich and all of the cheesecake dessert. He also drank 120 m each of cranberry juice and water! I skipped the lunch since we came back so late from breakfast.

Last night I changed the dust bag for the iRobot Roomba i7+ Clean Base Automatic Dirt Disposal system because the red light came on & it said the bag needed to be changed. When I tried to run the i7+ this morning the red light came on again & it told me the bag was full! I did a bunch of troubleshooting after I got back from my walk and got it to run.
The red light on the  i7+ means the dust bin is full.
The white light means the i7+ is ready to work!

I put the bag in on July 9th when we 1st set it up; the manual said it was good for 1 month. But it has actually been in for 4&1/2 months; although I don't think it got run from July 10th through 15th or August 19th through September 2nd while I was out of town. Which would then mean it has run about 4 months before filling that 1st bag. In our case I think it lasted that long because its only doing the kitchen, family room, hallway, and my bathroom. It is also picking up after cats who tend to be cleaner than dogs. (The Roommates are responsible for cleaning the dining room, living room, hallway, and their bathroom because of all the cat toys in those areas that would very likely get sucked up by the Roomba & clog it up.)

My Review: I like it. I would get another. In fact, I am considering getting one for the Kohala house. Because it can also be remotely started, I could set it up at the Kohala house to run once a week while I am not there, then run it daily for a few days just before I arrive, and daily while I am there. It has great suction to clean up stuff, it appears to be more methodical in its cleaning pattern than the Deebot,  it only runs as long as it needs to and will return to the base after it has determined it has completed the cleaning of the area it has access to, and if the area is very dirty or very large and the battery is running low it will remember where it stopped and return there once is has recharged itself!

Usually when I walk by the forested area above the park I see a lot of ʻEhakō foraging on the ground. Today I saw none. There was a cat lounging in the groundcover!
The Park Cat doesn't quite blend in with its surroundings.

Hauʻoli lā Hānau to Roblin!

No comments:

Post a Comment