Wednesday, October 2, 2019

Progressive Royal Flush!

Just before lunch I got a text & photo from Curtis; he has 2 more days but this has already been a successful Vegas trip. He had just hit a progressive Royal Flush and won $4285! The nurses and aides were very happy for him!


It was drizzling on my way up this morning; on the drive up I saw The Runner on Sierra and Calvin the Recycler on Lurline. Later I saw The Runner up on the circle but no other regulars; it drizzled on & off during my walk. During my cool down stretches Lorraine was the only regular I saw; she came down the driveway with a pikake blossom. She said her pikake bushes are blooming again because of the rain showers. She stayed for a few minutes because it began to pour again! She said those other days I saw her she did get caught in the downpours but had her umbrella; she had it today also.
Twenty-six minutes before sunrise on Waiʻalae.
Thirteen minutes before sunrise on Maunalani.
Four minutes after sunrise on Sierra.
Double pikake.

Dad was in the Plumeria Dining Room eating breakfast at a table shared with Mr. Shinagawa; CNA Francine was helping him. I found out her mother's side of the family is from Kohala! Dad ate 3/4 of his fried egg sandwich and all of his papaya & banana. He drank 120 ml orange juice and 60 ml water.


It continued to drizzle on & off throughout Dad's breakfast. Dad wanted to go upstairs to see what was happening in the Castle Living Room; he usually doesn't want to go so this is an improvement. On the way there we saw Czarina, Director of Community Life; she showed Dad the front page of the October newsletter.
Czar shows Dad his photo in the newsletter.

The events today started with exercises; at 10 the outside volunteer leading the activity came in. It was a pastor leading the residents in somewhat religious songs; Dad's dementia made him forget that he is an agnostic! He stayed through the activity!

Since I stayed a little later than usual, I only went around the circle once but I did my short jogging sessions between utility poles. I then went down to the lower parking lot & climbed up the stairs to the 3rd floor lanaʻi for a little more exercise. It was really gusty today.


During the mid-morning walk I saw that the jocote are ripening. I also saw that one of the widowmakers that I lookout for has come down but one is still up in the tree over the roadway.
Jocote (Spondias purpurea).
Downed widowmaker.
Widowmaker still in tree.

When I got back, Dad was still in the Castle Living Room; Gloria was leading them in more exercises. We stayed until it was time to get ready for lunch.

Lunch today was Shepherd's pie, Seasoned broccoli florets, Tossed salad, Ambrosia, and Chicken & wild rice soup; there was hardly any cheese on the serving I got & it was beans not broccoli. Dad ate all his 1/2 peanut butter & banana sandwich but didnʻt like the dessert. He drank 120 ml apple juice and 60 ml water. While we were eating a Manu-o-Ku from Palolo Valley came soaring on the updrafts and flew over the top of the building!



Wednesdays and Sundays are Dad's shower days; he takes his in the early evening. Each resident has specific days & times for showers, dependent on the resident's preferences. Because Dad does not do much, he gets 2 showers a week. After CNA Heather gave Dad his shower, I left for the day.

Hauʻoli lā Hānau to Eleta!

No comments:

Post a Comment