Tuesday, October 1, 2019

Roof Inspection

While I was sitting with Dad at breakfast, John from RevoluSun called. He said the roofers wanted to do the work on Sunday and would be by some time today to check on what was there now. I had Johnny the roofer call me to set up a time; he & Gilbert showed up a little before noon to check out the roof. If the weather cooperates, Gilbert & the crew will show up on Sunday about 8:30, get started with the noisy work at 9 and be here all day.
Gilbert checks what's under the Met-Tile roofing.

When I got in to the car this morning it seemed like it would be a good walk; it wasn't too muggy. It turned out to be a pretty good walk and the precip held off until I was doing my cool down stretches at the sheltered viewpoint. During my drive up I saw The Runner and Ona & Rio on Sierra. During my walk I saw Ona & Rio up ahead of me and was never able to catch up to them but crossed paths with them as I was nearing the end of my walk; they go around the loop in the opposite direction than I do. I also saw Calvin the Recycler during my walk; he was below the park. As I was nearing the top of Lurline I saw a woman & dog pick up the mail and go down the driveway of the house that used to be Caroline & Olive's place; she must be the new owner.
Eighteen minutes before sunrise on Waiʻalae.
Seven minutes before sunrise on Maunalani.
Nine minutes after sunrise on Sierra.

Just as I started my cool down stretches it began to drizzle. I like to think that Popokilani came running up to me because she was happy to see me but I think it was more to get out of the drizzle. It then became a downpour and did that several times. In between events I saw LPN Chivas walking in; a short while later he was walking back out as it began to pour again. He waited in the shelter while it was raining & I found out his schedule had changed on him overnight and he was not on duty until the evening shift; he is being trained to cover all wings on both floors so when he starts his classes for his BS in Nursing next year he can be more flexible in covering shifts when he is not in class. He made a break for his car during one of the lighter drizzles.
"Feed me!"
LPN Chivas should have waited a little longer!

When I arrived Dad was in the Plumeria Dining Room having breakfast with Mrs. Keliikipi. He ate half his fried egg sandwich and all of the papaya & banana. He drank 120 ml orange juice and 60 ml water before he decided he needed to go back to bed.


Before she put him back to bed, CNA Sharmaine weighed Dad; the residents are all weighed around the 1st of the month. Dad is 145.2 pounds; last month he was 143.6 pounds. He has gained 1.6 pounds over the month, about a 1% gain, so basically his weight is stable, which is good.


Since I had not heard from the roofer I decided to go on my mid-morning walk. Just before I was supposed to get ready for it, I got a call from my friend Janice. She & Eleta are coming for a visit next year! We are planning a few things and need to coordinate our schedules. It was good to hear from her.

During my mid-morning walk towards the end of the first short jog I passed Rob & Lily; she started barking. So I walked back to play with Lily. Once we got her calmed down, we walked around the circle. I found out Rob has done a lot of things, he is also a massage therapist and does lomilomi!


As I was doing my cool down stretches it began to drizzle, then it changed to a downpour. In the middle of all that Johnny the roofer called and we set up our meeting for the roof inspection. I would have enough time to get Dad started with lunch but would have to leave as soon as I was done with that.
This is at the slower part of the rain event.
The runoff from the downspout.

Lunch at Maunalani was Cheeseburger on bun, Hawaiian coleslaw, Banana pudding, and Seafood chowder; I did not stay to eat because I had to meet with Johnny. I told CNA Sharmaine to give my lunch to Derek and his family; his father has become unresponsive so he and his siblings & mother are keeping watch. Dad ate all of his 1/2 peanut butter & banana sandwich and all of his pudding; I'm not sure how much he drank.

I heated up my leftover nitsuke butterfish; I added the vegan corn dogs I found in the freezer. They were the last of the supplies that Nikki left.
Nitsuke butterfish & vegan corndogs with sun tea.


FYI On the nitsuke butterfish, it had a really nice, thick layer of fat on top! That's why it's called butterfish here. In North America it is called Black Cod. If you talk to a fisheries biologist its called Sablefish, though a good fisheries biologist will know the other common names as well as its scientific name, Anopoploma fimbria. Butterfish is sometimes included in packets of laulau.

Two weeks ago when Chris came by with Yuki he mentioned that Polly had puppies and he was going to train one to be another therapy dog. Today I saw a flyer by the elevator that said Polly would be back this afternoon; there was also a picture of her puppy Riku. I missed seeing them since I left to meet with the guys from RevoluSun. I also skipped the afternoon walk. 

Hauʻoli lā Hānau to Vikki! And Hauʻoli lā Hoʻomanao #25 to CJ & Ern Dog!

No comments:

Post a Comment