Saturday, October 26, 2019

Max's Restaurant

We took Tyler and his girlfriend Tabitha to dinner at Max's Restaurant this evening. Tyler is the new registered dietician at Maunalani. He's from Ohio, Tabitha is from Virginia, neither has had a lot of experience with food west of here. Max's serves Filipino cuisine; this is the same place we took Elena. The Potential Most Favorite Roommate served as the culinary ambassador tonight. We had Pancit Bihon, Crispy Pata, Pinakbet, Pinatuyong Pork Adobo, Diniguan, and Lechon Kawali; we skipped dessert this time. Both Tyler & Tabitha liked everything they tried; I did, too!

Pancit Bihon.
Crispy Pata. (Photo by The Roommate Who Likes to Wash Dishes)
Pinakbet.
Pinatuyong Pork Adobo.
Diniguan. (Photo by The Roommate Who Likes to Wash Dishes)
Lechon Kawali.

On my drive up today I saw Loy just as he was starting up Lurline; I saw him later during my walk when he was waiting at the bus stop at the top of Wilhelmina. On the circle I saw Kavita and Laure & The Dog Pack; further down I saw Lorraine by the park. On Lurline I saw Ronnie watering plants, later I saw Ona running back down the hill. I passed Lorraine once again when we were near the hāpuʻu; she said she checked the fern at her mother's house & found that it is also a hāpuʻu. Towards the end of my walk I saw Tina with Massimo, Ink, & Chloe Bacon. Ink is getting much better about not jumping when I come up to pet him; I won't touch him unless he is sitting quietly. I still haven't been able to stop him from licking my face and getting a tongueful sunscreen.
Fourteen minutes before sunrise on Waiʻalae.
Four minutes before sunrise on Maunalani.
Twelve minutes after sunrise on Sierra.

I was wrong; there's more work going on at the Lanipoko house. A portion of the subfloor has been removed near where the front door used to be; perhaps it will be a stairwell going down.
Part of the opening can be seen just to the left of the silver car.


Dad was in bed eating breakfast when I arrived. He ate half his fried egg sandwich and all of his papaya & banana. He drank 60 ml orange juice but no water. Since he's under quarantine for the conjunctivitis he can't leave his room.

I started my mid-morning walk a little late; I would have enough time to do 2 laps around the circle. Near the start of my walk I saw Chip; he asked about Dad so I stopped to talk. Both of Chip's daughters are now off to college; one on each coast. He & his wife are now adjusting to The Empty Nest. Later I saw Glen & Cinder; this was his 1st walk this morning, later he would be back with their deaf dog, Cooper. Finally, I saw Suzette so I stopped to talk to her; I now had only enough time to complete my 1 lap around the circle! But that's okay. I log the mid-morning & afternoon walks as "Mental Health Breaks", talking to friends is just as much a break as walking is. (My sunrise walk is logged as "Exercise.")


Lunch today was Mushroom chicken, Mashed potatoes, Malibu blend vegetables, Ambrosia, and Beef & Rice soup. Dad ate all his 1/2 peanut butter & banana sandwich and just half a dessert; he doesn't care for ambrosia. He drank 120 ml apple juice but no water.


I skipped my afternoon walk; I wanted to pick up some ketone test strips so that I could tell when I am in ketogenesis. I found the test strips in the diabetes section at Longs. The strips test for the amount of acetoacetic acid; the box says, "Ideal for people with diabetes & low carb dieters." Any amount of acetoacetic acid in my urine would mean my body is metabolizing fats for fuel rather than glucose. I took a measurement about 5 pm and found that I had 15mg/dL of acetoacetic acid in my urine! Of course, the test strips don't tell me whether my body is burning fat I ate or fat stored in my body.


I was pleasantly surprised to find a lot of nutrition information in the Internet for portions of meals that are not listed in the Fitbit, Carb Manager, or Noom apps. And many contained quite detailed information. I have also been able to find information for many but not all of the  ethnic food items. I entered the information I found in each of the apps except for Noom; since it doesn't show up on their chart it is a waste of my time to enter the info. (They do thank me for entering it so maybe somewhere in the future it will be verified and added to their database.) Fitbit & Carb Manager take the data I enter & incorporate it in to my charts so I will continue to add info to those apps.

The Noom app wants me to weigh myself every morning; if I had a regular scale that would be okay. But I don't; I use the WiiFit balance board to get my weight, which is a much longer process than just stepping on a scale. So I weigh myself once a week, on Fridays. Usually. I forgot yesterday, so I did it today. I was pleasantly surprised to find that I had lost 1.5 pounds. It could be because of the 2 days of eating as low a carb diet as I could. Or it could be just being more aware of how much I was eating and curbing my appetite when I got too close to any of the limits. I never went over the calorie limit for the day so the Ruben Meerman weight loss equation of eat less + move more + breathe, probably had a lot more to do with it. Right now I'm leaning towards Ruben Meerman, I can't imagine only 2 days of eating less than 50 g of carbs each day could make that much difference so soon. I'll see what happens next week as I try to keep closer to the 35 g of carbs each day.

I am close to quitting the Noom app, I am not finding their helpful tips to be very helpful. I am way over their let's ease in to walking 10,000 steps a day program; it starts at 2000 steps per day and increases you 300 steps each day. Today my Noom steps per day goal is 2300 steps; before lunch I had already done 7000 steps. They should have the option of me telling them what my average number of steps per day is, then start from there. Or in my case say, "Well done! Keep it up!" since my average during this hotter weather has been around 10,000 steps and during the cooler weather it is about 15,000 steps per day.

I saw a new cat this morning at the lower end of Lurline. It was near the house with the noni shrubs.
Cat #16 Noni Cat.

Hauʻoli lā Hānau to Chris & Prime!

No comments:

Post a Comment