Friday, October 25, 2019

Braised Lamb Shank

Last week was the 1st week of the Friday & Saturday dinner menus at Kokua Market. I tried the salmon; this week I tried the Braised Lamb Shank, I asked for no carbs and more vegetables. I only got no carbs, so I'll keep asking until they figure it out. While I prefer the lamb shank over the salmon, my plan is to try all of their items, unless they are carb-heavy. I'll wait for those until I am off the low carb diet.
It was so big I only ate half of it tonight.

Speaking of which, today is the 2nd day I have been logging my food intake. I noticed on Noom if you add something that is not already in their system it does not show up on their Green-Yellow-Red calorie density chart. Since the chart is one of the key pieces of their system it is not helpful that it does not include the data on foods not in their system. And since the colors are also not correlated with whether the item is a high or low carb item it is not helpful to me being on the low carb diet.

I have also discovered it is difficult for me to stay at 35 g carbs or lower. The cranberry juice already eats up a lot of my carb allowance. I will have to look for sugar-free cranberry juice and add my own sweetener, like I did with the soy milk.

I made the low carb Chocolate Chocolate Chunk Macadamia Biscotti (44%) again. This batch did not come out as good as the previous batch. I think it is because I altered the recipe, I made it more chocolatey; so the taste is better but the texture is crumbly. I did that by adding more dry ingredients but I did not increase the amount of moisture to the mixture. I found out I was using way less chocolate chunks in my batch of biscotti than the recipe for chocolate chip cookies calls for; the cookie recipe calls for the whole bag. I was using about 1/5 the earlier batch of biscotti even though both had the same amount of flour. This time I used twice as much chocolate chunks as last time or about 2/5 what is in a chocolate chip cookie.
The first bake.

I did 3 walks today! Yay! On my way up for the morning walk I passed The Runner as she was on her way back down Sierra. During my walk I saw The Motorcycle Guy's bike but he didn't pass me later. I also saw Ona & Rio on their way up and Lynette & June both going up Sierra and down Lurline. Near the end of my walk I saw Tina with Massimo, Ink, & Chloe Bacon. During my cool down stretches I saw Ken with Toto & Chico and Mike & Laure & The Dog Pack.
Twenty-five minutes before sunrise on Waiʻalae.
Fourteen minutes before sunrise on Maunalani.
Three minutes after sunrise on Sierra.

I stopped by Kelly's after my morning walk. Yesterday his yard guys accidentally cut the irrigation line to the hāpuʻu while trimming the creeping fig on the rock wall. I only had to replace a connector to get the system operating properly again. I saw that there are 3 more fronds forming at the apex.

As soon as I took the biscotti out of the oven to cool before I prepped it for the 2nd baking I headed out for my mid-morning walk; I was a little earlier than usual. And I was glad I started when I did! Because of the timing I saw Eugene, Tom's father, sitting in the shade by the park with Mero, Jellie, & his dog Rocko. Earlier in the year I had talked with Tom, he was traveling to help his dad pack in preparation for the move. Eugene said he has been here for 2&1/2 months now; I had not seen him or Tom or Chona in that time! Aue!


I decided to start my afternoon walk a little later; I wanted to time it so I arrived at Kokua Market just as they started taking dinner orders so I could shop while it was being prepared. On the circle Ron & Lily drove by. Later I met April & Dexter by the bus stop; April said she has seen me in the morning a couple of times when she was out for a run. Walking at the later time was cooler than an hour or so earlier. I think I will make walking later so I can time it to get to Kokua for dinner part of my Friday routine!


Hauʻoli lā Hānau to John!

No comments:

Post a Comment