Wednesday, October 16, 2019

Dental Check-up, Not

I was supposed to see visit Dr. Azuma today for a cleaning & dental check-up. But a couple hours before my appointment I got a call; someone had hit a utility pole and the power was off in the area, all appointments were cancelled. I have to call on Friday when their computers are working again to reschedule. 
Utility pole being repaired. (Photo from www.staradvertiser.com)

On my drive up this morning I passed Ona & Rio; they were just starting up Lurline. Later during my walk I saw them again on the circle; we stopped to chat. While we were talking LaVie walked by, I saw her later ahead of me but was never able to catch up to her; she also walks fast like Ona. Because I was talking I didn't notice if The Motorcycle Guy's bike was there but later he coasted past me & waved as I was walking past the park. During my cool down stretches I saw LaVie 2 more times; I also saw Mike & Laure & the Dog Pack and Ken with Toto & Chico.
Eighteen minutes before sunrise on Waiʻalae.
Seven minutes before sunrise on Maunalani.
Eleven minutes after sunrise on Sierra.

During my walk I saw an unusual sight; a dead ʻEhakō on a rooftop. Because of the terrain that particular rooftop is about the same level as the road. I think perhaps the bird was hit by a vehicle and the momentum of the car and the bird's flight path caused it to end up where it did.
Dead ʻEhakō on rooftop.


When the elevator door's opened on the 2nd floor I was pleasantly surprised; they finished installing most of the flooring for the wing that Dad is on. The flooring in the hallway is darker than in the dining room; it makes the hall darker than the whitish tiles that it replaces. But it won't easily show the black scuff marks that housekeeping is always working to remove.


When I got there, Dad was in the Orchid Dining Room having breakfast; CNA Jessa is very successful at getting him out of bed. Dad was sharing a table with Mrs. Keliikipi and Mr. Miyahira. He ate only 1/4 of his fried egg sandwich and half his banana but finished all of the papaya. He drank 120 ml apple juice but no water.


After breakfast Dad wanted to go out to the lanaʻi to check out the activities that Marissa was doing with the residents. Marissa started with reading current events then she went over the schedule for the day. She led them in singing songs for about 15 minutes to exercise their throat muscles. There was too much breeze to do the exercises with the balloon so they moved back in to the Orchid Dining Room; the residents hit the balloon with either their hands or feet. It was nice to see Dad actively participating in all the exercises! Since Marissa was there by herself with 10 residents, I skipped my mid-morning walk just in case Dad decided he didn't want to stay at the activity.
Marissa leads the residents in singing.
Dad exercises by kicking the balloon.

Czar came by to tell people about the Darryl Loo Legacy trio that was getting ready to play in the Castle Living Room. Dad wanted to go so I took him up to that; even though there were more CNAs I stayed since it was too late to start walking. Dad stayed and watched them until it was time for lunch.

Lunch today was Kalua pork with cabbage, Steamed rice, Tossed salad, Bread pudding, and Chicken gumbo soup. Yeah, that's not steamed rice on my plate! Dad ate all his 1/2 peanut butter & banana sandwich but only 1 dessert; the bread pudding was very rich. He drank 120 ml orange juice and 60 ml water.



I did my afternoon walk since my dental appointment was canceled. I wet my Omni-Freeze shirt & although the temperature was around 85 degrees F I was comfortable throughout my walk. I didn't see any regulars during my walk. But I did see a skateboarder at the top of Lurline by the bus stop. Later when I was at the bottom of Lurline I saw him speeding down through by Mariposa!


Hauʻoli lā Hānau to David & Nashla!

No comments:

Post a Comment