Friday, October 11, 2019

Rude Awakening

I was awakened about 4:15 this morning by an intense downpour; it lasted about 30 minutes. It slowed down to a steady drizzle but didn't stop; in the distance there was lightning and thunder. I got ready to walk anyway since the forecast the previous night said it would be moving on. It was still drizzling when I left the house, but it had slowed down considerably by the time  got to the parking lot. On the drive up I saw The Runner on her way down Sierra.
Lightning live on TV. (Screen shot from KGMB)
Rain at home. (This is not my usual parking view.)
Nineteen minutes before sunrise on Waiʻalae.
Ten minutes before sunrise at the parking lot.

My walk was relatively dry and very comfortable. But I didn't see any regulars during my walk; I think the earlier downpour kept people home. By the time I finished my walk it had stopped drizzling.
Six minutes before sunrise on Maunalani.
There must have been a lot of rain coming down the road to create this drift line!


I stopped at Longs on the way home; I had some really good coupons. I also checked on what was on sale and found that one of the sunscreens I use was on sale! But I got a little confused, there were 2 Ocean Potion SPF 50 sunscreens; both were on sale. I couldn't remember which one I had picked up earlier, so I tried comparing labels; they sounded exactly the same. I read the ingredients list and found only 1 different ingredient; I opted for the sunscreen with the one less ingredient. By the way, I am not really sure what sunshine is supposed to smell like.
The one on the left is the one I chose.

Since we don't have air conditioning, I started to clean out the refrigerator to stay cooler; it was refreshing! I started with the cheese keeper and found some cheese I didn't know that we had! There was also a stick of butter in there as well as some old medications for Xander.


My mid-morning walk was under an overcast sky but I could still see where the sun was. During my walk I saw The Other Wendy down by the park. Later I saw Ken & Orion on Lurline; further up on Lurline I ran into Leslie & Ipo. I asked her about the orchid I saw in her yard; she calls it The Bus Stop Orchid. She said it showed up one day and started blooming! While we were talking The Other Wendy came by on her way back home; she let us know that Suzette had to have Lola euthanized a couple days ago. I stopped to see Suzette before I left. She said Lola made the decision for her by refusing to eat; she was 12 years old. Suzette will be looking for a new puppy.



When I returned I continued to clean out the refrigerator. I worked on the fruit & vegetable drawers. DT and I had been keeping our supplies in the same drawer; it was getting crowded. I cleared out the fruit drawer and moved my supplies in to it; I left DT's supplies in the vegetable drawer. I also gave DT the Meiji Black Chocolate; although it is called a dark chocolate it is sweeter than I like my chocolate.
DT gets the vegetable drawer.
I get the fruit drawer.

I headed up for my afternoon walk and realized I had been lulled in to complacency by the cloudy sky; I was wearing my regular UPF shirt not the Omni-Freeze shirt. By the time I got up to Maunalani it was too sunny for me to try to walk without both my Omni-Freeze shirt and my water. Aue! This is only the 2nd time I have forgotten my water but that is a very big deal; I can't cool down effectively without cool water to drink after I walk. I skipped the walk and went to Times to pick up supplies instead.

For dinner I used one of the cheeses I found; it was the Yancey's Fancy Steakhouse Onion Cheddar that I had used earlier to make a salmon quiche. I also sliced up one of the hard-boiled eggs I made a couple days ago but it wasn't quite as hard-boiled as it should have been; it leaked a little.
It looks like the egg is bleeding and itʻs surprised that its bleeding!

Hauʻoli lā Hānau to Alana! And Hauʻoli lā Hoʻomanao #5 to Kai & Percy!

No comments:

Post a Comment