Sunday, October 27, 2019

I'm in Ketogenesis!

According to the instructions for the ketone test strips, it is best to do the test later in the day and several hours after a meal, like I did for the 1st test yesterday. They say your ketone levels are lowest in the morning, so I decided to test it this morning; it was the same 15mg/dL as yesterday afternoon. I will try to do the test at the same time each day, in the afternoon after I return from Maunalani. I want to see if I have an increase in the amount of acetoacetic acid that is eliminated the longer I stay on the low carb diet or if there is a fluctuation if I am eating more carbs. I like doing science on myself!

Even though I did not do my afternoon walk today, when I checked my urine I found that there was even more acetoacetic acid than last night; it was 40 mg/dL. I think that might be because I only have 8 ounces of cranberry juice before my sunrise walk and nothing but water before my mid-morning walk. My first meal of the day is lunch so prior to that my body is burning whatever it has stored to provide energy.
I think it was closer to the "moderate" than "large" color at 15 seconds since it continues to darken.

During my early morning walk I only saw Kavita; I saw no regulars during my cool down stretches. There was no precipitation to discourage people so I'm not sure why I didn't see more people today.
Eighteen minutes before sunrise on Waiʻalae.
Nine minutes before sunrise on Maunalani.
Seven minutes after sunrise on Sierra.

I'm not sure what they're doing at the Lanipoko house. Today I saw a pile of broken concrete and some dirt; looks like they are excavating in some part under the subfloor where I thought it was a garage.


There is a male Saffron Finch that has staked out his territory near the westerly side of the park. That is about the only point on my walk where I have seen Saffron Finches. On 2 other occasions I saw the male attacking his reflection in a car mirror. I saw him doing it again today!


Dad was having breakfast in bed; he'll be confined to his room for a few more days. He ate half his fried egg sandwich and all of his papaya and banana. He drank 60 ml of cranberry juice but no water.

As I started my mid-morning walk I saw LaVie & Suzette finishing off their lap of the circle. I later saw Suzette gardening in her front yard; never caught up with LaVie. I also saw a tourist on a Biki bike headed around the circle; I'm not sure how many laps he did, but I later saw him as he was on his way down Lurline. And I saw Dr. Lothar & his wife out in the front of their house.


Lunch today was Beef stir fry, Brown rice, Tossed salad, Red velvet cake, and Split pea soup. I skipped the split pea soup since it has between 13 & 23 g of carbs; I'd rather save the rest of my carbs for my low carb biscotti which has 9 g. Dad ate all of his 1/2 peanut butter & banana sandwich and 1&1/2 pieces of cake. He drank 120 ml cranberry juice but no water.


I was so focused on entering the nutritional data for the dishes I ate last night at Max's Restaurant I forgot about the time. I ended up skipping the afternoon walk.

I started reprogramming the Wireless Whiskers automatic feeder for Luna & S'mores. I changed the names on the tags and corrected the date and time on the unit. Tomorrow I will put the tags on Luna & S'mores' collars and set up the Autodiet Wizard. The wizard records how long each cat eats over a 3 day period to determine how much they normally eat. After the 3 days The Roommates can decide whether they want to put them on a reducing diet or leave them as is. They are hoping the cats will stop bothering them in the early morning if they can get food whenever they want from the self-feeder.

Hauʻoli lā Hānau to Timothy!

No comments:

Post a Comment