Saturday, October 5, 2019

Roofers Came Today

They were originally scheduled for tomorrow, Sunday. But I got a call from Johnny as I had just started to help Dad with breakfast; he wanted to know if they could do it today. I said, Yes. Better to get it done and then wait for the solar panels rather than missing this window of opportunity, then having to wait and get back on the schedule. And possibly delay the solar panel installation. They arrived at 9 and started work.
The roofers started a little after 9.
The roofers begin removing the metal panels.
The panels on the front lawn.

Lunch break.

Johnny sent me a confusing text about lunch time, he wanted to know if I wanted them to add insulation to the roof (for a fee). I could not figure out why I would want them to take the roof off to add insulation. Later, when Johnny came by, he explained that when the metal roof was put on they only put battens across the rafters to attach the metal panels. The portion Gilbert checked earlier was not far enough from the eaves to find that there were only battens. So before they replaced the battens with plywood, Johnny wanted to know if we wanted insulation installed under that portion of the roof. It didnʻt make sense to me to only have that small portion of roof insulated. Besides, with the panels in that area the panels would be absorbing the energy that would heat up the roof there.
Using some of the panels to keep things from hitting the neighborʻs car.
Covering the plywood with roofing paper.

Because of the need to replace the battens with plywood, the job took longer than originally anticipated. They will be back tomorrow to finish the job.


Last night I got back home from picking Curtis up at the airport just before midnight. Then my alarm went off at 5:23 this morning; my usual hour-before-sunrise wake-up. It was brutal but I woke up & started my day; once I started walking it was okay. I saw The Runner headed back down Sierra as I drove up, then I saw Calvin the Recycler getting ready to go down Mariposa on his way home. I also saw The 3 Fox Terrier Lady as she was finishing up her walk. But the most surprising was seeing Laure & the Dog Pack about half way through her walk as I turned in to the parking lot! I felt like I was really late, but I really wasn't.
Twenty-one minutes before sunrise on Waiʻalae.

I started my walk at my usual time, about 10 minutes before sunrise. Those regulars must have started early; during my walk I still saw a bunch of regulars. As I was completing the circle I saw Wendy starting her walk down Lurline with Mickey & Bella. Then I saw Kathy, I had not seen her in quite a while; I know its her because she picks plumerias along the way. As I was passing Wilhelmina at the downhill end of the park I saw Lorraine there; she had 3 double pikake blossoms for me! I saw her again while I was doing my cool down stretches, as well as LaVie, Kavita, and Ken with Toto & Chico.
Ten minute before sunrise on Maunalani, my usual time.
Eight minutes after sunrise on Sierra.
The pikake from Lorraine.

I left one of the pikake at the main reception desk; I gave the others to the 2nd floor staff. I left one at the computer station in the hallway near Dad's room, CNA Reina took the other one to the 2nd floor nurses station. 
Pikake at the main reception desk.

Because the roofers were here, I skipped my mid-morning and afternoon walks. I concentrated on doing things around the house. And also catching up on my sleep. Mainly sleep. I also organized the tea cabinet; Mom had a lot of tea. I am going to try using the old tea for sun tea.
Teas with 2012 to 2014 best by dates.
Teas with 2015 to 2016 best by dates.
We're trying this one 1st, it's best by date is about 7 years ago.
We'll see how good that aluminum wrapper is at keeping it fresh.

I was going to do laundry late tonight and have it ready to hang out when I returned from walking tomorrow morning. But since the roofers changed their schedule, I had to change mine, too. I started the laundry as soon as I got home. As I was hanging the laundry out a Red-crested Cardinal came to snack on the papayas.


I had chili for breakfast. And lunch. And dinner. DT brought the one gallon bucket of chili back last night along with a tray of rice. This morning when I went to get my cranberry juice the refrigerator door was ajar; the tray of rice put enough pressure on the door that it did not close completely. I bent the edge of the rice tray up so it no longer pressed against the door.


Hauʻoli lā Hānau to sister-in-law Lori! And Hauʻoli lā Hānau also to Fran, Jim, Karen, & Karina!

No comments:

Post a Comment