Thursday, October 3, 2019

Japanese Restaurant Aki

Today is DT's birthday so I took him & The Roommate Who Likes to Wash Dishes out to dinner; The Potential Most Favorite Roommate had to work late tonight, he told us to go ahead without him. We went to Japanese Restaurant Aki; the same place we took Calvin for dinner. They basically ordered the same things they ordered the last time, plus The Roommate Who Likes to Wash Dishes also ordered Tempura Udon and I had Miso Salmon. For dessert I decided to try the Green Tea Creme Brulee. The salmon was good but smaller than I expected; it also took a long time to be prepared.


L to R: gizzard, chicken thigh, & quail eggs.
L to R: sausage, ?, ?, wing, & chicken breast.
L: Ebi Roll, R: Spicy Tuna Roll. (Photo by The Roommate Who Likes to Wash Dishes)
Tempura Udon. (Photo by The Roommate Who Likes to Wash Dishes)
Green Tea Creme Brulee.

I did more research on the Warabimochi dessert I had the last time. I had always thought mochi was a rice-based dish; it's not, though it is dominated by rice-based confections. The Warabimochi has no rice in it; it's more like a jello-type of dessert made from the warabi starch. They can't call it Jello since that's a trademarked name, they can't call it gelatin since that is specifically an animal product, and calling it jelly would confuse English-speakers in to thinking it was something else entirely; so I guess mochi was the closest they could come in terms of consistency. As the links I have found indicate, it gets its flavor mainly from added sugars; so not eating it right now since I am doing a low-carb diet and it is nothing but carbs!

It rained a lot in the couple hours before I left the house this morning but it wasn't raining when I got in the car. It stayed relatively dry on the drive up so I started my walk. And for most of my walk it was dry; I saw The Runner on the circle, then again as she headed down Lurline, and I saw Calvin the Recycler down by the park. As I was nearing the upper end of Lurline it began to rain; I took shelter under the eaves of Wendy & Victor's garage. As I waited for it to let up, Wendy's cousin Sue came to the garage. I found out she is in school for nursing and her kids want her to work at Maunalani once she is done with her degree!
Rain twenty-five minutes before sunrise at home.
Twenty-one minutes before sunrise on Waiʻalae.
Ten minutes before sunrise on Maunalani.
Six minutes after sunrise on Sierra.

I left the shelter of the garage when the rain slowed to a drizzle; it had stopped by the time I was done walking and on my way to the covered viewpoint to do my cool down stretches. I only saw LaVie walk by during my cool down since it started to pour again about 15 minutes after I got there! CNA Sugar ran down the driveway to take shelter at the viewpoint as he was on his way in from the bus stop.
Seven minutes after completing walk; just a little mist.
Rain front over the ocean moving towards the west.
Rain really began about 15 minutes after I got there.

When I arrived Dad was eating breakfast in bed this morning; CNA Sharmaine isn't as successful at getting Dad out of bed as CNA Jessa. He ate all his fried egg sandwich, papaya, and banana. He drank 120 ml cranberry juice but no water.

Sad news, Derek & Lois' father passed away late last night. I met them a couple months ago when their father was first admitted; I've talked with them almost daily since then. Derek was wandering around & saw Dad's name on the door; he came in to see if he was related to his friend Paul. Somewhere along the way we probably are, but nothing close that we know of. Curtis & Paul and Paul's brother Bruce & I were in the same home room in junior high. Lois had been scheduled to fly back to Arizona today just after noon; I was hoping to visit with her before she left but missed her.

More sad news, yesterday I had noticed that Mrs. Kusunoki's name tag was missing from her door. Today I confirmed that she has passed.

On the other hand, Good News!!! Mr. Miyahira is back from the hospital!!! I heard a gravelly voice saying, "Everybody helps!" That's one of the few phrases he says. Later I heard the genuine joy in the voices of staff at shift change when they went to greet him; he also remembered most of their names!

It was overcast & blustery during my mid-morning walk. Because I left a little late I did just one lap around the circle; I did not see any regulars. I also did not jog between lamp posts; I was closing green waste bin lids so they would not fill up with rain water. I deposited 16 points in the karma bank! (I did 8 during the sunrise walk since they had only just started emptying bins as I was finishing my walk.)  


Lunch today was Pork long squash, Steamed rice, Tossed salad, Sweet corn haupia, and Beef vegetable soup; I also had some overcooked mixed vegetables on my plate. Dad ate all of his 1/2 peanut butter & banana sandwich and 2 desserts; he drank 60 ml apple juice but no water.


I skipped the afternoon walk; I took Dad upstairs to check out the afternoon events. Usually he goes to the drumming session run by Chin but she is on vacation. Today Kiʻini and Sam were going to lead the residents in singing; later Ki'ini would be teaching Sam some hula. I left after getting Dad settled but not before I saw one of the books from their library; its about cats!



Hauʻoli lā Hānau to DT and also to Michele!

No comments:

Post a Comment