Tuesday, October 29, 2019

Ketogenesis Tracking

Yesterday when I said I would check my ketone levels I had forgotten that today was Tuesday so my  activity level & eating schedule are different. I was on my way home to get ready to go to Curtis' house for our Tuesday morning breakfast when he called. There was an accident on the freeway involving a semi and traffic was backed up all over the place; we cancelled breakfast. I could sort of have a normal day! When I got home I tested my urine; it was about 5 mg/dL, the same as when I woke up. So it appears that my body must be burning the carbs from the cranberry juice for fuel 1st thing in the morning.
5:38 am, about 5 mg/dL.
7:41 am, 5 mg/dL.

I tested my urine after my mid-morning walk. It was about 15 mg/dL. So it appears that my body switches to burning fat to fuel my activities after the carbs from the cranberry juice are depleted.
10:55 am, 15 mg/dL.

In the afternoon I tested my urine even though I did not do my afternoon walk. It was about 40 mg/dL, higher than right after my mid-morning walk. It appears that my body is remaining in ketogenesis at least through the afternoon. I will repeat this level of testing for a couple of days to see if this is my body's usual process.
3:53 pm, 40 mg/dL.

I was awakened at about 4:45 this morning by a downpour. By the time I got out of bed 45 minutes later it had slowed down to a light rain. I got ready to walk anyway; you can never tell what it will be like an hour later. When I left the house it was just a light drizzle.


As I drove up the drizzle got even lighter; I saw The Runner making her way up Sierra in the drizzle. There was hardly anything when I started my walk. The only one I saw during my walk was Paul & Bodhi ahead of me on Sierra. During my cool down stretches I saw Kavita shortly after I began; later Tina walked by with Massimo, Ink, & Chloe Bacon. I think the early morning downpour scared a lot of people off.
Twenty-nine minutes before sunrise on Waiʻalae.
Nineteen minutes before sunrise at the parking lot.
Fourteen minutes before sunrise on Maunalani.
Two minutes after sunrise on Sierra.
Thirty-seven minutes after sunrise; this is how much precip came down after I started walking.

There were no cars parked in the front yard of the Lanipoko house. I was able to get a better photo of the construction activity that has happened so far.


By the time I arrived back at Maunalani Dad was asleep with his breakfast in front of him. He had only finished 1/4 of his fried egg sandwich and all his papaya but had not touched his banana. He drank 60 ml cranberry juice but no water.

During my mid-morning walk I saw LaVie in the distance coming up Wilhelmina with Tazzie & Kila. Later on Lurline I met Sarah who was walking Massimo, Ink, & Chloe Bacon, she is Tina's pet sitter.


Lunch today was Pork adobo, Steamed rice, Stir fry vegetable blend, Garden salad, Chilled diced pears, and Garden vegetable soup. The vegetables were actually the succotash mix, which has 5 g net carbs so I skipped those for today to lower my carb count; I only ate the salad and the adobo. Dad ate all his 1/2 peanut butter & banana sandwich and half of a bowl of pears, he doesn't like them even though they are easy for him to eat. He drank 120 ml cranberry juice but no water.


After lunch Dad took a short nap, then stayed up for the rest of the time. I skipped my afternoon walk even though there was a good cloud cover that was cooling things down. There were no activities on Tuesdays that Dad liked so I skipped the walk to keep him company since he was awake. He ate 2 madeleines and his banana from breakfast. He dozed off when it was time for me to leave.


RN Supervisor Remy came in after lunch. She said Dad's eye infection was cleared. They are removing the enhanced contact procedures. Tomorrow housekeeping will sanitize the bed, floor, and dividers.

For dinner I limited myself to 2 slices of Fat Head Pizza tonight. I felt better, less stuffed than I did last night! And my food log also looked a better! Yesterday Carb Manager said I had 50 g net carbs, 109 g fat (the goal is 82 g, so I'm 33% over), 74 g protein (of 73 g, +1%), and 1492 calories (of 1168, +28%); those are the amounts after I add my exercise info. Tonight, after adding my exercise info, it said 34 g carbs (-32%), 66 g fat (-19%), 54 g protein (-26%), and 955 calories (-18%).

This afternoon when I got home I was greeted by Luna who was lounging on the couch in the family room; this is the first time I have ever seen her doing that. Later S'mores discovered the paper bag on the sofa; this was also the first time I had seen her doing that, too!


Hauʻoli lā Hānau to John & cousin Aimee!

No comments:

Post a Comment